Gluten-Free "Fat Tire" Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
Wrote this recipe for a celiac friend who has a hard time finding "good" tasting gluten-free beer. I brewed this recipe with similar notes to New Belgium's "Fat Fire" Amber Ale. The friends said it came extremely close, suprisingly for the fact that it was brewed gluten-free.

6.5 lbs. Briess White Sorghum Syrup (45 high)
2 lbs. BriesSweetTM Brown Rice Syrup (45 high)
4 oz. Grandma's Original Unsulphured Molasses

1oz. Willamette Hops
.5oz. Fuggle Hops

Dissolve Sorghum, Brown Rice Syrup, and Molasses into boil.
Hop for 60 mins with 1 oz. of Willamette Hops..
Hop for 20 mins with .25oz of Fuggle Hops.
Add in yeast nutrients.
Hop for another 5 mins with .25oz of Fuggle Hops.

Cool and transfer to fermenter (don't forget to add the rest of the water!!!) and pitch Fermentis Safeale US-5 Yeast.

It took me four months to bottle this batch, but I'm sure you could bottle after four weeks.

=) Enjoy!!!

My wife wants me to try this recipe because she LOVES Fat Tire. Not trying to reproduce it, but if it goes in Fat Tire direction she will like it. A bunch of threads warn against molasses saying it gives off flavors. Any opinions on this recipe?

I am the celiac, so I have never tried Fat Tire. The hop additions here look subtle to me. My wife normally likes hoppy beer so I am wondering if I should up the late additions or maybe dry hop.

Any suggestions from experience, especially someone that has experience with Fat-Tire-like beer are welcome!

Back