Convient Way To Clean Keg Dip Tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
I'm cleaning all my kegs today and had them taken apart. The dip tubes on one were NASTY. Was trying to find a way to clean them, especially the loner beer out tube.

Well...I was also cleaning one of my guns, and I use a Boresnake to clean the barrel. That little light above my head kicked on...

I used a .22 caliber boresnake through both the gas and beer dip tubes and it worked quite well! Naturally if you have one for guns clean it real well before using...or buy a new one dedicated for your kegs. The snake was a little too small but it cleaned out the loose stuff no problem. Tomorrow I'm going to grab either a 6.5mm or 7mm snake which should be perfect. The increased diameter should mean a more thorough cleaning.

If you didn't click on the link they're basically long pieces of fabric with brass brushes attached. When you pull it through a barrel (or dip tube...) the fabric cleans out the loose stuff and the brushes break up the stuck on stuff. For guns I put some barrel cleaning right on the fabric near the brushes and it'll clean just about everything off. The same can be done for cleaning kegs.

Back