Adding blueberrys to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde ale recently and will be adding some fresh picked blueberrys to the secondary. I was reading on Brew Your Own's website about adding fruit to the secondary.

In the article it says that I can mush my fruit into a slurry and then add some Campden tablets and let the fruit sit over night. The Campden will kill any of the micro-organisms.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, how did it go?

I haven't done this before, but I'd worry about the Camden killing your yeast when you rack onto the berries, meaning you wouldn't be able to bottle condition. I think generally as long as you've washed the fruit and the beer's fermented you'll be fine, since the alcohol will kill anything nasty trying to have its way with your beer, but maybe someone else knows better (for the cherry stout I made, I froze the cherries and racked on top and it was fine)

You'll be fine and it will not kill the yeast already in the beer. I make fruit wines and the first steps is to add 1 campden tablet per gallon of fresh fruit must and let it sit for 24 hours before pitching the yeast. I've never had a issue with the yeast not taking off right away following this method.

Steve

Back