Help pick me some hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a sh** ton of hops, well five pounds.

1. Magnum
2. Cascade
3. Saaz
4. ?? (States)
5. ?? (Continental)

Now I would like something else from the states, and something continental that will help round out the pallet.

I was thinking Amarillo, but that might be too much like cascade, maybe I could swap those.

I'm not going to make a poll or anything, just looking for input.

I'm going to buy from hopsdirect. :tank:

Amarillo is not to close to cascade, they are far better imo. Amarillo ftw!

Yeah, I was really leaning towards Styrian, or East Kent, but German Tradition is a great one also.

I have never done a bulk hop buy before. I really thought knew what I wanted, until I saw them in the cart. Then I said, but, but... I want them all.

No hop collection is complete without northern brewer or german tradition...I love woody, spicy hops.

Styrian Goldings is great in anything...so soft. Fuggle or EKG for british-style ales.

I personally would switch out the cascade for amarillo...it's much tastier.

All right, my line up is a changin'.

1. Magnum
2. Amarillo
3. Saaz (This is my all time favorite It stays)
4. First Gold (uk) ??, or Tradition (ger)??
5. ?? (states) Something spicy or resiny ??

Centennial or chinook for the resin, chinook is just expensive at hopsdirect right now

First Gold sounds good, but I've never tried it. I'd get that AND the German Tradition and call it a day. That's a great hop line-up. Styrian Goldings would be good, but saaz is a pretty good substitute for those in anything you'd be making.

As for resiny...maybe Simcoe?

Yeah I wish they had simcoe. It is one of my go-to hops, but I will be buying it from midwest this year.

BY THE WAY: Damn you DeathBrewer

I ended up buying 6 Lbs, because of you. I told SWMBO I was only going to buy 2 Lbs. Oh well, I guess I'll save on shipping

This is it the final line up.

1. Magnum
2. Amarillo
3. Chinook
4. Saaz
5. Tradition
6. First Gold

I hope you're all happy with yourselfs. :rockin:

Try a rye if you are going to try a wheat. Whole other beast, but excellent. I just did a pale with 20% flaked rye and it is excellent! Or I did another with 30% malted rye, also good. Rye FTW!

Try a rye if you are going to try a wheat. Whole other beast, but excellent. I just did a pale with 20% flaked rye and it is excellent! Or I did another with 30% malted rye, also good. Rye FTW!

I love rye. It's great in small quantities or large, but can really be troublesome. Roggenbiers are awesome, but a PITA mash. Perfect candidate for the bag in can method, because they LOVE to clog up spigots.

I did a rye IPA with schezuan peppers and honey. Called it Stir Fry Rye IPA. It's not carbed yet, but it was great going into the bottles.

I just checked. Exactly half what I would have spent at my favorite online brew shop shipped.

I love hopsdirect. I wisha I coulda makea da babahs wit dim.

1/5 what I would have spent with the local guys.

My 5 lbs would be as follows:

1) 1 lb German Perle: Lagers
2) 1 lb Saaz: Lagers and Belgian Ales
3) 1 lb Styrian Goldings: Non-German beers
4) 1 lb East Kent Goldings: British and American Ales
5) 1 lb Willamette: American Ales

I might also buy an once or two of other favorites for certain styles but the above list covers 95% of my needs.

Latest posts

Back