Best pizza known to man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Ok, it's Marathon Monday here in Massachusetts, the day when 500 starving Kenyans invade the state and run each other into the ground for 26 miles cause someone told them the winner gets a Big Mac. And the Sox play a day game starting at 11:00 am, so that when the game ends 36,000 drunks wander out into Kenmore Square to watch 15,000 nutcases vomitting in the gutter as they stagger past them. Fun times! It's one of those days that make Boston special.

I don't know about you but marathon runners make me nervous. I've done some things in my life that I sure wouldn't want my grandmother to find out about, but never, I mean NEVER have I done anything so bad that I felt a need to run 26 miles to get away from it. Just the thought of it makes me squeamish. I ran across a parking lot yesterday cause it was getting late and the packy was closing and I was going to get aced out of a bottle of rum that I just NEEDED, but that's about as far as I'm willing to trot. And these fools do it for fun. Fun? Fun my arse! Busting your arse sweating isn't fun unless you are doing it horizontilly with a lady. I was at the gym yesterday and the trainer gave me a medicine ball to hold onto while he whipped me like I was ruining his daughters reputation. It was NOT fun.

So anyways, it's Marathon Monday here in Boston. And those of us who have more common sense that to run form Hopkington to Boston.... Not for nuttin, but have you ever BEEN to Hopkington? Talk about a one trick pony! Hopkington has ABSOLUTELY no reason for ANYONE to want to go there. Even the people who DO want to go there just go hoping they can get away as fast as humanly possible.

Well, most normal people won't run from Hopkingotn to Boston. Although if you are an malnourished Kenyan you can probably run to Boston faster than the rest of us can drive it, expecially when all of the surrounding roads are closed cause all you fools are running on them.

So for the rest of us there is only one thing to do on Marathon Monday. Yup, eat and drink. Personally, I drink and eat, but that's just me.

So here is what we're eating while we are sipping our Mojito's and waiting for the first pitch.

Shrimp and Scallop Pizza

Toss your dough out on your peel.
1240236857.jpg

I lay down a bit of dried shrimp and chili paste on teh dough.
1240237198.jpg

Then I lay down a layer of Alfredo sauce.

1240237248.jpg

PTN

Next I cut up a half dozen shrimp and about the same number of scallops and lay them around the pizza.

1240237323.jpg

After that you load on the cheese and slide the whole mess into an oven as hot as you can get it.

1240237437.jpg

And this is what brings a smile to your face while you are waiting for Sox game to start and for the malnourished masses to get the hell out of your city so the traffic can go back to just being horrible .

1240237483.jpg

PTN

Totinos and Jenos are both awesome. You pizza PTN makes me want to vomit! Literally, because I'm allergic to Shell fish and that's what would happen if I ate your pizza :D

Worked in a pizza parlor in college. I got mad skilz.

Bet I can make a 14" Pepperoni faster than you. I've worked at 3 different places, and one we had a speed competition. You actually had to be able to make a 14" Pepperoni from a dough ball in under 45 seconds to get your first raise. I was the fastest in the store at 23 seconds. Just sayin'.:cross:

Best pizza is sort of like best beer, but I have a perennial favorite I happened to learn in Boston. Lobstuh pizzuh.

Found the whole thing here: Maine Lobster Pizza Recipe

One thing I don't see at the linky is Jasper and I like a super thin cracker type crispy dough for this. You got to knead the dough by hand for a solid, timed ten minutes to get the gluten fully developed. Rise until doubled, punch down, and refrigerate tightly wrapped overnight. Then proof the next night, punch down again and roll it out thinner. Thinner. Nope, keep going, traslucently thin.

Instead of bite sized chunks I fork pull the (cooked) lobster meat like BBQ pig, and I substitute Romano for the listed Parmesan. I do chiffonade the basil, for tomato I use Roma's only, seeded, pulped and finely diced.

Do drizzle some olive oil around the rim of the pie so it browns up a little in the oven. The grill in the link is a nice touch, I do these indoors on upside down rimmed cookie sheets in a 450° oven. Ten to fifteen minutes, check at 8 minutes the first time through in a new oven.

Not running down any other style of pie, but this is one I really really like. My second consistent favorite is sausage and mushroom.

For the lobster pie I like a basic pale ale that is not to hoppy. Almost like the American PA's are a little much where the Brit PA's do a little better; though Bass will overpower the lobster. Something quaffable that doesn't overpower the lobster, assuming you didn't use too much cheese already. There is the goat something from Montana worked really well here once. EdWort's Haus, Munton's basic Pale Ale both excellent choices.

Well, I agree with you on the running, but I'm not fond of seafood on pizza. Granted, it does look lie there is enough cheese to hide the crime.

We had a guy here that threw a mean pizza. Unfortunately, he couldn't run a business. The company that took over the store can run a business ...

Lately since I've been making pitas from scratch on the weekend I've been cheating and using the pitas as a pizza crust, actually makes really good individual pizza and you don't have to wait around for the dough to rise. If you make the pitas a little on the thick side you end up with a pretty damned good pizza. My oven has been having trouble getting up to temp as of late so I've went to stovetop flatbreads until I can figure out what the hell is going on.

I got one for you. Im making this wednesday.

Chicken breast diced
bacon diced
roasted red peppers cut into strips
Chipotle powder
Olive Oil
Garlic

Once you have your pizza layed out take olive oil and diced garlic and rub all over dough
then add cheese then add your chicken, bacon, RRP and sprinkle chipotle all over the pie then cook. Even though it dosent have your typical pizza sauce it taste awesome!

I use pesto as a pizza sauce a lot these days, pesto with homemade mozzarella, wild mushrooms, and spring onion makes a tasty pizza.

So anyways, it's Marathon Monday here in Boston. And those of us who have more common sense that to run form Hopkington to Boston.... Not for nuttin, but have you ever BEEN to Hopkington? Talk about a one trick pony! Hopkington has ABSOLUTELY no reason for ANYONE to want to go there. Even the people who DO want to go there just go hoping they can get away as fast as humanly possible.

PTN
Great indoor track and one of the most competitive high school track teams around. I was in the Tri-Valley-League back in high school, so I would run in hopkington a lot. I miss Marathon Monday :( I used to go to the sox almost every year :(

I'm interested to see where you're going with this. Not very often you see someone use a pizza peel at home!
It's the only way to fly. I worked at a pizza place for about 3 years. Can't live without one. Here's mine with a lighter pizza
pizza.jpg

I got one for you. Im making this wednesday.

Chicken breast diced
bacon diced
roasted red peppers cut into strips
Chipotle powder
Olive Oil
Garlic

Once you have your pizza layed out take olive oil and diced garlic and rub all over dough
then add cheese then add your chicken, bacon, RRP and sprinkle chipotle all over the pie then cook. Even though it dosent have your typical pizza sauce it taste awesome!

Sounds great. I'll put just about anything on a pizza. I've used Chilli as pizza sauce before. A fan favorite is my buffalo chicken as well as the nacho pizza.

Enjoy nachos? Make them, but slap it on top of a pizza. Crumble up the nacho chips for an added crunch.

You all fail

Your not a manly man until you cook pizza in your wood stove on a piece of soap stone taken from a sink made in the 1800's :rockin:

I'll get pics of the piel, peal, peel and brews to wash the pies down with next time.

Of course for now its on the weber as heating season is FINALLY over in these parts

Woodpizza4.jpg

Woodpizza5.jpg

Woodpizza7.jpg

Very bad ass man. When I move I plan on getting an outdoor pizza oven.

Yeah, thats one of those projects I want to tackle but between cutting/splitting/stacking wood, the kids, brewing and the garden and chickens it may be a while.

I'll settle for the weber for now :mug:

Uh, I was thinking that raising chickens at home is sort of cool and was going to ask you about the details. But now I'm pretty sure that I don't want details. Hey, it's all cool, whatever you do in the privacy of the chicken house is between you and the chickens.

Back