All Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I would use actual organic apple cider versus apple juice then what would I have to change if anything? Also I'm guessing I would want to use actual apple juice with no sugars or preservatives correct? Also I did read the you use a can of concentrate as a priming sugar for bottling,is that correct as well? And one more, when using yeast nutrients, do you have to use it together with a starter? I guess my question is I normally just pitch my yeast into the primary. When would you use the nutrients in the process? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Organic apple cider will work just fine, but if the cider is cloudy then the finished product will be cloudy unless you use pectic enzyme. I've done this and just let it stay cloudy, it doesn't bother me. No preservatives is correct, although ascorbic acid is fine. The concentrate is acting as priming sugar. You shouldn't need a starter with dry yeast, just stirring the nutrient in should be fine AFAICT.

I have questions too -- how fizzy does this get when primed with one can of concentrate? I like a cider more on the champagne-like side, wondering if I'd want to use more concentrate. Also if anybody's done both all-apple cider and Edwort's method, how different is the flavor?

Thanks for the info. I'll just try regular juice. Orchards around here aren't ready yet. I got all the stuff just waiting for it to warm up in my house. Been about 62-70 degrees. Nice weather!!!

Sent from DMAC's iPhone using Home Brew

So I tried this recipe and followed to the "T" but today I checked the gravity today it checked at 1.000! Scratched my head a little and checked the taste. It's bitter and has a slight smell of alcohol to it but not the BAM factor. It's been in the primary for about a month n half as of now and I haven't seen a lot of air lock action since I sealed it up. I'm thinking I didn't get it agitated enough when I sealed it up and I had a "limp" ferment. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

1.00 is good what was your og? U have to back sweeten it, I used Raspberrys and a couple cans of raspberry lemonaid concentrate

Aslo 1 can of juice is not enough to prime!! use priming sugar if you bottle!! u can use the juice but it's not enough u really need to sweeten it or u end up with wine. I personally keg so I can adjust additives to my liking

Okay sounds like a stupid thing but I don't know how to back sweeten. Never have done it at all. I have two cans of apple concentrate left and they're 12 ounces. My O.G. was a 1.060 and mixed on May 17.

Treetop apple juice is from concentrate why not use all concentrate?

The easy way to make hard cider is from frozen juice concentrate. The big guys use juice from concentrate; just read the ingredients label on the store bought ciders. This Allows for year around production at a very reasonable price.
How much concentrate is needed for five gallons depends on the alcohol content desired. I found 16 can of apple juice concentrate gave me the OG of 1.058 or potential alcohol of 7.88 ABV and my total cost to make 5 gallons of store bought cider was $30.70. I ended up with 2.5 cases bottled and at the store cost of 9.00 a six pack or $90.00 total that is quite savings just under $60.00.
The sugar in the apple juice concentrate ferments very dry and potential alcohol is closely accurate to what is produced.
To get body and sweetness in the cider one must add complex sugar the yeast cannot eat.
I have had good success using apple juice concentrate for cider in gallon batches and five gallon batches.

Here is a link to my five gallon video http://youtu.be/SkLcCJ-hew4

Here is a link to my 1 gallon video http://youtu.be/gLBHNAPbkJ4

Back