Yeast cup cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
On my last brew a hefe, i let it sit in the primary for a month(exactly) and the final gravity was perfect when I took it out. 1.010. I noticed one major difference from my last beer a pale ale. The yeast cake was basically non existant. My pale ale yeast cake was a good 1/2 inch. This one was like 1/16 it was so thin - I did use a grain bag to hold my hops this time, which i did not do last time. Is there a problem here?

What was your OG? If your split between OG and FG is good then don't worry about the yeast cake

The yeast will never be half an inch for a 5 gallon batch. Yeast + other stuff certainly might be that or more. You had less "other stuff" with your hefe. Certainly it is likely that you had less hop matter.

The yeast will never be half an inch for a 5 gallon batch. Yeast + other stuff certainly might be that or more. You had less "other stuff" with your hefe. Certainly it is likely that you had less hop matter.

Hmmm.. ever brewed a barley wine

The lack of yeast cake may also be due to the fact that hefeweizen yeasts tend to be much less flocculent than others (such as White Labs WLP001). Thinking back to some of the hefes that I have brewed, they seemed to have less yeast and trub on the bottom of the primary than others as well. In addition, a FG of 1.010 sounds like fermentation was complete, so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Back