Feedback on pH meter: apera instruments ai209 ph20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with this meter? I have gone through a couple of cheapies and they are useless. I was searching on Amazon and came across this unit that appears similar to others I've seen for about twice as much.

Apera Instruments AI209 PH20 Value Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, ±0.1 pH Accuracy, 0-14.0 pH Range, Complete Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOHN8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the brand or unit, but I can recommend that you obtain a meter that can report to the hundredth. While we don't really care about brewing pH to the hundredth, a reading to the nearest tenth is too coarse. Get a better unit.

Thanks Martin, I didn't even notice that! I was trying to rationalize between the above at under $50 and the Apera PH60 for example at $75 with replaceable probes. Figured I could buy 2 of the first for the price of one of the more expensive and a new probe. The sensitivity issue cinches it. So, anyone have any experience with this one?

Apera Instruments PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy, -2.00-16.00 pH Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOIQE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Most people don't stop to think about what accuracy of ±0.1 pH means. In a nutshell it means that if you had perfect buffers you would get an answer that is in a band 0.2 pH wide centered on the actual pH 68% of the time. It also means that 32% of the time, almost 1/3, you wouldn't. This is not deemed accurate enough by most brewers though some fiercely defend their right to be happy with 0.1 pH accuracy. Of course no defense is necessary. If you are happy with that then a meter intended for hydroponics or some other application is fine for you.

The guys on HBT have settled in on 3 meters from, respectively, Omega, Hach and Milwaukee that have sufficient accuracy, resolution and reliablility to meet most peoples' expectations. There are many candidates out there. A price tag under $100 has proven in general to not be a good sign but there was a time when under $250 was not a good sign. Technology does advance.

I just got floored by Milwaukee yesterday. I stumbled across a page on their web site where they tell you how to use their ORP meter to verify that Kangen Water has negative ORP and to repeat the well known but fraudulent claims of those charlatans! If they don't understand enough about ORP to know better than to post that then they don't know enough about electrochemistry to sell me a pH meter!

I'm also contemplating to buy apera ph60! Seems one of the best quality price ph meter... The pc60 seems also very good btw!

Purchased an apera ph60 today for $55 on prime day sale. Honestly, I kinda question myself on the purchase because I probably should have skipped it and spent the money on a tested and proven meter. I intend to do ajdelange's stability test on it when I get it and can post my results back here.

I bought one also, if it sucks it'll be returned is it doesn't then I have all the features of a 120$ portable probe for 60$. I'll take half off. Mine is coming Friday so I'll give my analysis after I teach my chemistry lab

I can get a probe and base for 130$ from my stockroom going to heck tomorrow what that's like also.

My intuition leads me to believe that all of the removable probe units only vary slightly above the actually glass, the processor chip, type of calibration and how fancy of a housing it all is housed in. The quality of the actual probe itself most likely very similar, unless you move from a glass bowl, I mean after all it is glass with minuet differences in composition and the actual measure is made based upon diffusion of ions.

We shall see

As has already been pointed out this meter sucks for the brewing application because of its inadequate resolution. You don't have to have one in hand to appreciate this. The specs tell you all you need to know.

Back