First Lager- Acetyl rest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmink311

Reaction score
I am fermenting my first Lager. I left it in the primary at 50 degrees for 2 weeks, it was in a pail so I couldn't see the fermentation. The air lock bubbled very slowly for about 12 days and then stopped. I read in John Palmer's book where you should give it an acetyl rest at room temp for 24-48 hours. My question is this, after I brought it inside (at 65 degrees) it started bubbling like crazy and it is approaching 48 hours and is still going strong. Should I go ahead and rack to secondary and start lagering or should I leave it inside to do more fermenting or should i put it back in the fridge at 50 degrees?? here is my recipe that I used:1 x AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen
- 1% Alcohol Boost: Yes
- Kit Option: Mini-Mash
- Ice Pack: Yes
- BrewVint Yeast Fuel: No Thanks
- Beer Bottle Caps: Yes
- Priming Sugar: Include Priming Sugar
- Yeast Option: Wyeast Octoberfest Lager 2633 (Oktoberfest ) I did partial mash and it turned out quite well OG was 1.055. I cooled to 65 degrees and pitched at 65 then brought it down 5 degrees a day until it got to 50. The initial fermentation didn't start for about 16 hours but then seemed to do fine. Any help would be appreciated...

It is now 1.016 and stopped bubbling about 11 last night,should I go ahead and rack and start the lagering process or what?

you need 3 days of consistent gravity readings to know its done and safe to rack to secondary.

Back