Slightly worried about my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
Hey all. Got a Brewer's Best PSA IPA kit for xmas that I brewed a couple days after xmas day (don't remember when exactly). Seems like it might have been doomed from the get-go, but I'm lettin it ride to see if it's ok. First problem I encountered was with my boil; I thought I'd have enough propane to get me through the boil, but with literally 5 minutes left in my boil, propane ran out. And of course, with this recipe, the DME was to be added with 5 minutes left in the boil, meaning it didn't break up too well and I had to mix it pretty well to get it mixed in. There seems to be a little bit left floating on top of it. I don't think this well affect it too bad, just kinda irked me.

My second issue came when we went in to the hospital to have our baby. The day after we left, we had to have a plumber come in and clear some roots out of our main drain. Well, I have a heater sitting next to where I keep my fermentors hidden from the sun (we have a cold basement). It does not point directly at the buckets, and sits out from the shelf about 6-8 inches. It keeps my fermentors at a very good temperature. When the plumber went down in our basement, he moved the heater out of his way so it was about 3 inches away from my fermentor, and pointing directly at it. I popped the lid to check it, and got smacked in the face with the smell, I also had a horrible cold at the time and cold taste/smell nothing. This I smelled.

When I added the hops for dry hopping this past Sunday, it was not as pungent and was smelled pleasant. I cracked it open just now to check on it and was hit, not as hard as the first time, but harder than the second, with the whiff. I don't plan on bottling it for another week and a half, mostly hoping whatever is going on will pass (unless the damage is already done). Any thoughts on if it's going to taste like butt, or if i'm ok? I'm not throwing it out regardless, just in case, just curious what the experts say.

I'm about to start basically the same kit and I'm curious, why do they have you add the DME so late in the boil?

Started drinking these this week. They did not turn out bad, luckily, but it does not have that IPA hop taste or aroma to it. I did not do a secondary, but just put dry hops in my primary and left for a little over a week. I don't remember what hops came with it, but there were 3 different types and I used some of each in the dry hop.

Kit IPAs are seldom as aromatic as I'd like. I've taken to going completely bonkers with my late hopping schedule to get that big punch of aroma and flavor that I look for in an IPA.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Kit IPAs are seldom as aromatic as I'd like. I've taken to going completely bonkers with my late hopping schedule to get that big punch of aroma and flavor that I look for in an IPA.

How many ounces do you usually dry hop with? I think I used 2.5 with this batch.

How many ounces do you usually dry hop with? I think I used 2.5 with this batch.

For an IPA, 2-6 ozs, depending. But you also have to hop late and at flameout in the kettle. I like to do a flame out addition that is steeped hot for ~20 mins before removing the hops and chilling. This will give you a lot of aroma and flavor, works very well in IPAs.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
For an IPA, 2-6 ozs, depending. But you also have to hop late and at flameout in the kettle. I like to do a flame out addition that is steeped hot for ~20 mins before removing the hops and chilling. This will give you a lot of aroma and flavor, works very well in IPAs.

I will try that next time. Thanks!

Back