Which do you think is better! BALLLOCK LID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I have to send back a ball lock keg. When I got them I got two different styles of top....
I notice that the lid on the left has a cast bracket system and the one on the right looks like the bracket system has been riveted onto the top of the lid.
Even though I like how the one on the right is configured it seems like the one on the left could be a little bit more sturdy design...
What do you think is the better designed top?

78E9DFB2-2E21-4A32-9527-5C4899B44D87-2299-000002C7AD5A0740.jpg

beaksnbeer said:
As a matter of preference as stated there both good I like the #1 ones with the relief forward, with 14 kegs three deep it's easier to reach/find.:cross:

Still not quite sure which one you're saying is easier to reach or find? The one on the left?
(Sorry, I'm a little slow, it was a long hard day at work)

Hammy71 said:
Of the dozens of kegs I have, there are a variety of lids. All work just fine. Not sure what your asking.

Look at my last question on the bottom.... It states what I'm asking...

But I guess it sounds like in your opinion it's a moot point.
;)

I have to send back a ball lock keg. When I got them I got two different styles of top....
I notice that the lid on the left has a cast bracket system and the one on the right looks like the bracket system has been riveted onto the top of the lid.
Even though I like how the one on the right is configured it seems like the one on the left could be a little bit more sturdy design...
What do you think is the better designed top?

78E9DFB2-2E21-4A32-9527-5C4899B44D87-2299-000002C7AD5A0740.jpg

The one on the right that has the "1" by the relief valve the other has a #2 by the relief.....guess you didn't put them there for the pics.......;)

beaksnbeer said:
The one on the right that has the "1" by the relief valve the other has a #2 by the relief.....guess you didn't put them there for the pics.......;)

Oh, right.... The numbers were there :)

They both work exactly the same. The bracket and feet have nothing to do with how your keg will hold pressure. It is merely something to stop the lid from falling in the keg and help align the lid as pressure is applied to seat the lid. If the keg is in use you do not even need the bracket arm or feet.

Keep the lid #1 the other one had a metal pressure release. The metal release are not available anymore.

Keep the lid #1 the other one had a metal pressure release. The metal release are not available anymore.

I agree to this. I know of one vendor that actually sold me a lid like #1 for cheap because the relief valves are no longer available.

I agree to this. I know of one vendor that actually sold me a lid like #1 for cheap because the relief valves are no longer available.

Kinda confused. Lid #1 ( on right) is the keeper with the plastic release. Send back # 2 ( on the left)

Go with 1 if they are the same price. If there is a much greater discount go with #2 and pretend you went to Vegas!

Back