Jim Koch: Craft beer bubble near "popping point"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simtra is a pretty good beer.

Until you pay $11 for one that's been sitting on the shelf for lord knows long, and it's oxidized to hell. (I did, worst $11 I've ever spent)

I'm not mad at them for the oxidized beer, that's out of their control, and normal for big IPAs that have been on the shelf too long.. I'm mad because they don't put bottling dates on their beer. I'll never buy another hoppy beer from them until I see bottled dates. $11/22oz is way too much money to have to roll the dice. It could be 1 week old, or 7 months old.

If you have a problem with contract beers, you have a problem with about 95% (no exaggeration) of the beers sold in the world. That includes MANY craft beers. Stevens Point makes some of the most ho hum beers in the world under their own label, but they make some pretty solid brews for other people.

And contract brewing doesn't mean "You give us the recipe, we make it." It can also mean that they hand the keys to the brewery over to the renter for a limited term. They bring in their own stuff, with their own people and operate the equipment.

I heard an interview maybe a year ago with the dude from Crooked Stave brewery. They don't make their own wort. Or at least didnt. Someone else does. They ferment it, but the wort is shipped into them in raw form. I don't think anyone would dispute the legitimacy of the end product, even if it wasn't wholly made in house. But people dog on Granite City for doing that same thing. It's the same concept.

95% isn't contract brewed. Bud, Miller, Coors, and Heineken brew their own, and they have enough market share alone to debunk your 95% number.

Yes, I understand that TONS commercial beer is brewed at a brewery with a different name on the building (Blue moon, shocktop, rolling rock, Stella, etc, etc etc). I was talking about craft beer though. I'd venture that 95%+ of craft beer is not contract brewed.

Back