What's your largest boil in a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottanooga

Reaction score
After a number of 5 gallon all grain batches, I'm planning my first 10 gallon batch. Beersmith tells me I'm looking at a 13.75 gallon boil.

I'm going see what 13.75 g looks like in my keggle tomorrow, but curious how much others have successfully boiled?

You should be Ok. I usually start at 13.25. So 1/2" more liquid wouldn't make a difference. I've never used fermcap.

I've never used Fermcap either. Just a spray bottle of water. Still, I think I'd rather have to watch closely for boil over than dilute the wort afterwards.

With fermcap, I would feel comfortable with about 14 to ~15 gallons at the start of the boil. I would only be cautious of how hard the boil is. A really hard boil is more prone to spill over the sides of the keggle. Just don't walk away from it.

I've gone to 12 gallons (or so) already without issue.

This will be Porter with all the hops being added at 60 minutes, so I'm thinking most of the potential boil over will be right after the hops addition. Hopefully it will settle down after that.

I wasn't judging fermcap. I just never bought any to try. I have had to turn down the heat for fear of boil over though. Just before start of boil, and the 1st 7 minutes into the boil I watch like a Hawk. I use the stir method to avoid boil over.

I try to avoid adding anything with chemical names that I can't pronounce to my beer. Fermcap=Dimethylpolysiloxane. Then again, I'm still vaguely suspicious of electricity, so I'm probably not one to ask about that.

I try to avoid adding anything with chemical names that I can't pronounce to my beer. Fermcap=Dimethylpolysiloxane. Then again, I'm still vaguely suspicious of electricity, so I'm probably not one to ask about that.

Fermcap will settle out from the boil. It also settles out if used in fermenter. It's even been found to increase head retention in brews. Don't fear the assistance if can give you. IF you're tight on head space in keggle/kettle or fermenter, it can be extremely useful. Not saying you should use it for all batches, but fearing something that can be highly useful only hurts you.

Personally, I use it where it's warranted. I have a bottle of it in the fridge, so I don't worry.

Back