Cheery'O Mild, critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Doctor

Reaction score
12 gallon batch
75% efficiency
OG: 1033
SG: 1010
ABV 3.0%
SIM @ 152 F
SRM 18.7
WLP002 English ale
13.7 IBU

10# Light Munich 10L
2# home toasted Oat Malt ~20L
1# Crystal 120L
1# Carastan 35L
1# Pale Chocolate ~215L

2.0 oz. EKG (5.0 %) @ 30 min.

Tell me what you think. I'm thinking of doing this soon and letting it keg condition until around Febrewary (SP?). My thinking is all that roast will mellow/drop out. Also it may be served on nitro, which also smoothes things out.

Well, it's certainly an interesting take on the style. I don't want to seem like a style nazi here, but for my tastes, the BJCP status quo makes a very nice beer. In short, I'd use a quality English basemalt (Maris Otter, Tipple, Optic, Golden Promise, Halycon) and drop the toasted malt. All that munich and toasted malt is going to make a very malty mild, probably too much so. For crystal, a mix of dark and light is good... I generally like going for around 8-10% medium crystal and then another 3-5% dark (120-150). Pale chocolate is fine, great stuff, but a full LB is prob a bit much. Maybe bring that down to 5% max, or you can sub it out for less chocolate malt if you want more roast character. Yeast choice and SG looks good. Only other thing I would add is that most milds taste best rather young. If it's not tasting great a few weeks out the fermenter, I'd suspect there are issues somewhere along the line.

I'm really trying to push the maltier end of the style and I think it takes a lot to go too far with a 3% beer. But I hear you on the roastiness. Here's my updated recipe.

12 gallon batch
75% efficiency
OG: 1033
SG: 1010
ABV 3.0%
SIM @ 152 F
SRM 14.9
WLP002 English ale
13.7 IBU

10.5# Light Munich 10L
2# home toasted Oat Malt ~10L
0.75# Crystal 120L
1# Carastan 35L
0.5# Pale Chocolate ~215L

2.0 oz. EKG (5.0 %) @ 30 min.

That makes C120 5.1%, and P. Choc. 3.4%. As well as halving the roast for the oat malt.

Lower the P. Choc and 120, and make up OG with base malt. The color comes down to 14.9 srm but the rest of the stats remain. As a note, I just don't like using carafa or other things to adjust color. Because historically, would color be adjusted without flavor adjustment?

Back