Boulevard Brewing 80 Acre clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantputt87

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a clone of Boulevard Brewing's 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat Beer. I know that it just came out but its so good i want to try my hand at it. If someone could maybe point me in the direction of how to get ahold of a recipe or how to get one that would be much apperciated.

happy brewing!!!

I tried it the other day, it delicious! Very easy drinking. I would also like to brew something similar but maybe even more hop forward. While I haven't mapped out a recipe, I will say that it seems more like a wheat beer with extra hops as opposed to a pale ale with wheat. Don't know if that helps, but I'm interested in what others have to say!

I just had this for the first time the other day and I'm pretty certain I can identify the hops used. I brewed a pale ale that had the exact same flavor profile.

Use whatever you want for bitter and then late additions of Citra and Galaxy. Probably .25 or .5 at 15 and 0 mins.

I've done a wheat before that has very similar notes.I believe more dry hops will pretty well clone it. Take a boulevard wheat clone and add a lot of late addition Amarillo.

Mine would go this way.

5 gallon batch.

5# pale malt.
4# wheat malt
1.5# flaked wheat

.5 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 30 min
1 oz Amarillo 15 min
2 oz Amarillo flame out

Pitch SL-05

Ferment 1.5-2 weeks at 68.

Secondary on 1.5 oz Amarillo 1 week.

I actually used Cascade without the secondary hop addition, I'm pretty sure this will make the difference in the late addition. Also, I'm pretty sure Boulevard uses Amarillo vs Cascade, but either should work. I'll probably brew this again trying to clone it. As suggested earlier, Citra could work as well.

i just discovered this wonderful brew yesterday, and immediately after trying it i wanted to make a batch.

the dude that was sampling these beers works for boulevard, and he said that the bittering hops are whatever high alpha hop they have on hand, usually zeus or bravo. summit brings more to the hop party, and the cascade/NS dry hop are what hits you in the nose. i could pick up on the NS right away since it's my current favorite hop.

since it was getting late and i wanted to strike the brewing iron while it was still hot, i just made a full extract version. also i was at the hardware store after going to the bar and i had to settle for what i could find.

3.3 lbs light LME (yeah it's from a can, make do with what you got!)
3 lbs wheat DME
1 lb. extra light DME

60 min: .5 oz Magnum (13.5% AA)
5 min: .5 oz summit (17.6%)
flameout: .5 oz summit (17.6%)
dry hop with .5 oz each of cascade, summit, and nelson sauvin

pitched SA-05

left the bar at 7, left the hardware store at 8, water was boiling by 10 and yeast was pitched by midnight. i love doing these last-minute sessions!

i'm planning on doing this again, only with proper ingredients, like actual wheat. this is mainly a test to see if i got the hops correct.
hmm...i wonder how a bit of rye would work in this??

i love this hobby :D

I have been looking to make a non-tradional wheat. I looked at the Boulavard site and this beer has only 20 IBUs so there must be some later addtion hops with dry hops. Looking forward to hear what others come up with for a clone.

I am bottling a hoppy wheat tomorrow night, but pushed it closer to 40 IBU. I don't know that I believe 20 IBUs, unless the OG is really low.

For my hoppy wheat, this is what I did:

Mini mash:
1lb flaked wheat
1lb pale 2-row (to give enough to convert the wheat)

60 minute boil Boil:
1lb Extra Light DME
6.6 lbs Wheat LME added at 5minutes

.5oz cascade @ 30 minutes
1oz columbus @ 10minutes

Pitched US-05 (figured the flaked wheat would give me enough wheatyness, didn't need the WB-06)

1oz nelson sauvin dry hop for 5 days

OG was 1.054, FG finished at 1.013, 37 IBU, 4.6 SRM

I'll be back in about three weeks with a report on how it turns out. Tastes during gravity samples seemed fairly close, the cascade comes through fairly strong, hoping the Nelson gives a good kick in the nose without taking away the familiar cascade/columbus flavors that the 80 acre goes with.

If you email boulevard, they will send you a recipe. Yeast is typically english ale yeast, not specified by the brewery. It seems to be fairly clean without significant esters and attenuates well. I would guess WLP007 would fit the bill for this.

Thanks Bacon, just got this from the Brewer at Boulevard, with a couple additions of clarifications I got in further emails:

Hop Bill:

Pale Malt - 62.4%
Wheat - 17.7%
Malted Wheat - 19.9%

Mash Schedule:
Mash in at 116.6f for 6.5 minutes
Step to 122f for 25 minutes
Step to 147.2f for 14 minutes
Step to 163.4f for 15 minutes
Mash out at 168.8f

Pre-boil gravity is 1.051
Post-boil gravity is 1.053

70 minute boil.

Hop additions:

Bravo - 3.3 IBU @ 60m
Zeus - 6.9 IBU @ 60m
Summit - 1.5 IBU @ 60m
Cascade - 4.5 IBU at flame out

Pitch their house english ale strain at 66f. Ferment at 66f until they SG gets down to 1.028, then they move it to 73.4f until it finishes at 1.012.

Dry hop with Cascade and Nelson Sauvin at a rate of .21 kg/bbl and .070 kg/bbl respectively.

I asked about the possibility of harvesting from their bottled beers, but he did say they used a different strain for fermenting than they do conditioning, so harvesting wouldn't get you the proper yeast. He said to take whatever english ale yeast your supplier has, but to avoid anything that leaves a lot of Diacetyl behind.

Going to try and process this information, chop it up into a 5.5 recipe, and give it a shot sometime next month.

Really great of Boulevard to be so open in sharing recipes.

Thanks Bacon, just got this from the Brewer at Boulevard, with a couple additions of clarifications I got in further emails:

Hop Bill:

Pale Malt - 62.4%
Wheat - 17.7%
Malted Wheat - 19.9%

Mash Schedule:
Mash out at 168.8f

70 minute boil.

Hop additions:

Bravo - 3.3 IBU @ 60m
Zeus - 6.9 IBU @ 60m
Summit - 1.5 IBU @ 60m

Pitch their house english ale strain at 66f. Ferment at 66f until they SG gets down to 1.028, then they move it to 73.4f until it finishes at 1.012.

Dry hop with Cascade and Nelson Sauvin at a rate of .21 kg/bbl and .070 kg/bbl respectively.

I asked about the possibility of harvesting from their bottled beers, but he did say they used a different strain for fermenting than they do conditioning, so harvesting wouldn't get you the proper yeast. He said to take whatever english ale yeast your supplier has, but to avoid anything that leaves a lot of Diacetyl behind.

Going to try and process this information, chop it up into a 5.5 recipe, and give it a shot sometime next month.

Great work!

Definitely gonna give it a shot.

Here is a quick mock up of what I might brew in the next week or two.

Hoppy Wheat - Blvd 80 Acre Recipe - American Wheat or Rye Beer
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.143 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 70 Min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.2%
Bitterness: 16.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 7.100 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Red Wheat Malt Grain 3.400 lb Yes No 84%% 2 L
Total grain: 10.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Bravo 15.5%% 0.060 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 3.3
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus 15.5%% 0.125 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 6.9
Summit 17.0%% 0.025 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 1.5
Cascade 6.0%% 5.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 4.6
Cascade 6.0%% 2.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Nelson Sauvin 11.0%% 2.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.388 oz Primary

I noticed that the IBUs only go to about 16 which is lower than the 20+ mentioned in the other articles.

I think I will only use Columbus for the bittering hop (Instead of the other three). Also, I just used Red Wheat instead of the Wheat/Malted Wheat combo to simplify things.

Also, I like the dry yeasts so I decided to work with S-04

One more thing to note, that late Cascade addition of 5 oz is likely off. The software I use doesn't take into consideration the number of IBUs imparted by a whirlpool or a hop stand (So I used 1 min addition).

So do your own calculations for that late addition. I was just trying to hit the numbers for the recipe in the software and will likely do more research to get this more accurate.

Sweet, let me know how it turns out. I don't know that I'll have time/room to get anything going until the beginning of February (although while i'm out of town in late january, I'll be partaking in some Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin, a similar style)

Just brewed this tonight with some modifications.

1. I used two ounces of Cascade at flameout (For a 20 minute hop stand).
2. Got a lower efficiency than expected and ended up with an OG of 1.050 (No big deal).
3. Columbus only as the bittering hop addition.
4. US-05 Yeast
5. With my calculations, the IBU on my beer is approximately 30ish (A little bit more bitter).
6. Set fermenter to 65 degrees F. Plan to keep here for 10 days.
7. After 10 days, I will increase temp to 68 for the last 4.
8. On day 14, cold crash.
9. Day 15, rack to keg and dry-hop in the keg (with 2 ounces cascade and 2 ounces of Nelson Sauvin).

I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Here is a quick mock up of what I might brew in the next week or two.

Hoppy Wheat - Blvd 80 Acre Recipe - American Wheat or Rye Beer
Batch Size: 5.143 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 70 Min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.2%
Bitterness: 16.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 7.100 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Red Wheat Malt Grain 3.400 lb Yes No 84%% 2 L
Total grain: 10.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Bravo 15.5%% 0.060 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 3.3
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus 15.5%% 0.125 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 6.9
Summit 17.0%% 0.025 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 1.5
Cascade 6.0%% 5.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 4.6
Cascade 6.0%% 2.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Nelson Sauvin 11.0%% 2.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.388 oz Primary

I might change my dry hops to something a little bit more similar to Blvds. and make it 3 ounces Cascade and 1 ounce NS.

I'm happy to report back that my attempt at this beer is almost perfect. I can say with confidence that this recipe is spot on (even with using S-05). Of course my recipe varied slightly, but it's so damn close that I'm going to make this a regular. The recipe I used is posted earlier.

The only thing I might change is to add a a little bit more of the flameout additions. However, the hop character and flavor is about as close as I could have asked for.

I say go for it if you were waiting on a confirmation from someone who has brewed it.

Awesome news Haput.

I was just a little bit shy of the intended OG which made this beer right at 5% ABV. Since it tastes so close to the original, I'm extremely excited that it's a little bit more sessionable (even if it's not by anything significant). :ban:

This is what's listed on the Boulevard website: Malt: Pale Malt, Unmalted Wheat, Malted Wheat
Hops: Bravo, Zeus, Summit, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin

I had this in Chicago last week and thought it was fabulous. Next on the list.

Sorry to be such a novice, but I wanted to be sure I'm reading your hop schedule correctly. Is that six hundredths (0.060) of an ounce of Bravo and 25 thousandths (0.025) of an ounce of Summit?

Sorry to be such a novice, but I wanted to be sure I'm reading your hop schedule correctly. Is that six hundredths (0.060) of an ounce of Bravo and 25 thousandths (0.025) of an ounce of Summit?

It appears to be that way. If you went with all those high alpha hops in greater quantities, it would far surpass the 20 ibus that 80 acre is listed at. I subbed the bravo, summit, and zeus with .5 oz of columbus @ 60 minutes in the batch I just did. On paper this would make it 24 ibus. I didn't want to buy that much of those three and only use a pellet or two.:-D Not sure if it will greatly affect the overall flavor quite yet. Ill keep you all updated.

Hop Bill:

Pale Malt - 62.4%
Wheat - 17.7%
Malted Wheat - 19.9%

Mash Schedule:
Mash out at 168.8f

70 minute boil.

Hop additions:

Bravo - 3.3 IBU @ 60m
Zeus - 6.9 IBU @ 60m
Summit - 1.5 IBU @ 60m

What's the email address for the brewer that helped you with this? I've not been able to get a response from the brewery or help with them. Thank you.

Just brews my first AG beer and attempted a Boulevard 80 Acre Clone, with some slight modifications and bottled it last night. It definitely resembles the 80 Acre in taste and aroma... Mine is slightly cloudier, but I blame myself for that. Shoot me any questions you have about the attempt and I'll try to answer them... I'm looking forward the conditioning step waiting period to end! Enjoy!

Grain Bill

Pale Malt -7.1 #
Red Wheat Malt - 3.4 #
Wheat Flakes - 1 #

Mash Schedule:

Mash in at 145 F for 20 minutes
Step to 152 F for 60 minutes
Mash out at 168.8 F

Hops Additions

Amarillo - 0.06 oz @ 60 min (boil)
Columbus - 0.125 oz @ 60 min (boil)
Summit - 0.025 oz @1 min (boil)
Cascade - 5.0 oz @ flame out

Dry hops

Cascade - 1 oz
Nelson Sauvin - 1 oz

Gravity Readings

Pre-boil gravity was 1.045 @ 117 F = 1.055 (60 F)
Post-boil gravity was 1.053

Yeast

1 packet (11.5 g) Safale US-05 yeast

Ferment at 68-70 for 1 week
Transferred to secondary 1 week
Dry hopped secondary 5 days
Racked and bottled 10/21

Just brews my first AG beer and attempted a Boulevard 80 Acre Clone, with some slight modifications and bottled it last night. It definitely resembles the 80 Acre in taste and aroma... Mine is slightly cloudier, but I blame myself for that. Shoot me any questions you have about the attempt and I'll try to answer them... I'm looking forward the conditioning step waiting period to end! Enjoy!

Grain Bill

Pale Malt -7.1 #
Red Wheat Malt - 3.4 #
Wheat Flakes - 1 #

Mash Schedule:

Mash in at 145 F for 20 minutes
Step to 152 F for 60 minutes
Mash out at 168.8 F

Hops Additions

Amarillo - 0.06 oz @ 60 min (boil)
Columbus - 0.125 oz @ 60 min (boil)
Summit - 0.025 oz @1 min (boil)
Cascade - 5.0 oz @ flame out

Dry hops

Cascade - 1 oz
Nelson Sauvin - 1 oz

Gravity Readings

Pre-boil gravity was 1.045 @ 117 F = 1.055 (60 F)
Post-boil gravity was 1.053

Yeast

1 packet (11.5 g) Safale US-05 yeast

Ferment at 68-70 for 1 week
Transferred to secondary 1 week
Dry hopped secondary 5 days
Racked and bottled 10/21

It's probably yeast. No commercial brewer uses the Chico strain / US05 without centrifuge, filtering, or fining. Try gelatin or isinglass and it should clear up provided you fully converted your mash.

How did it turn out

Hmmmmm... First off DISCLAIMER: This was my first batch of homebrew ever and there are lots of modifications I plan to do before doing this recipe again...

I turned out smelling like 80 Acre but tasted more like an IPA in my opinion... I did a side by side comparison and they were very different. I have a couple of issues where this could have developed from in the process...

I did nothing to correct the water chemistry and after much further examination, it appears St. Louis City loves to dose high levels of Chlorine and also a very undesired pH... I have read a few places that these issues could release more tannins than desired..

My second issue come brew day (most definitely the culprit) was my kitchen scale was not sensitive enough to weight the small hop additions... I believe the hop utilization on this scale is much different than Boulevard commercial recipe... I will have to do more research...

I am very happy with my first batch of home brew none the less, it just wasn't 80 acre I made, but it was still a very drinkable/enjoyable beer... I can post some side by sides and color comparisons too!

It's probably yeast. No commercial brewer uses the Chico strain / US05 without centrifuge, filtering, or fining. Try gelatin or isinglass and it should clear up provided you fully converted your mash.

Would gelatin also capture some of the small "hops" particles as well that are part of the bottom settled layer from dry hopping?

Just brewed this tonight with some modifications.

1. I used two ounces of Cascade at flameout (For a 20 minute hop stand).
2. Got a lower efficiency than expected and ended up with an OG of 1.050 (No big deal).
3. Columbus only as the bittering hop addition.
4. US-05 Yeast
5. With my calculations, the IBU on my beer is approximately 30ish (A little bit more bitter).
6. Set fermenter to 65 degrees F. Plan to keep here for 10 days.
7. After 10 days, I will increase temp to 68 for the last 4.
8. On day 14, cold crash.
9. Day 15, rack to keg and dry-hop in the keg (with 2 ounces cascade and 2 ounces of Nelson Sauvin).

I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Haputanlas, would you be able to post a complete updated recipe? I am looking to brew this but am having trouble following the changes you made. Thank You!

Going to brew this soon. Would white wheat work just fine? I'm going to use it anyway since I have it on hand, just felt like asking. 80acre is a tasty brew. Can't wait!

I haven't tried it yet. It's currently 3rd on the list behind Biermunchers octoberfast ale and another pumpkin ale. Here's what I'm looking at though. Stuff I have on hand

1414297710694.jpg

Back