CO2 Odor Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raouliii

Reaction score
I've been working on a portable corny setup using a Kobalt mini-regulator and paintball CO2 tank. After completion, I depressed the pin lock gas fitting and took a whiff. It had a distinct odor and that got me worried about contamination potential.

So, I walk over to my fixed corny setup with a 6 month old, 20# welding supply bottle and took a whiff from an unused gas fitting as a baseline. Same odor.:confused:

Given that CO2 is supposed to be odorless, what might I be smelling? Is it my nose's reaction to such a strong CO2 concentration or do I have a problem? Does anyone else get an odor out of their welding supplier CO2 bottle? BTW, only beverage grade tubing is used throughout.

I know near nothing about kegging systems but my guess would be that your in need of a food grade co2 tank that can be used for pop towers. I would think they would not worry about making welding tanks and paintball tanks food grade, they are probably more interested in cutting production cost.

Thanks for the reply.

Many homebrew kegger's obtain CO2 from welding supply sources, hence my question whether anyone else here has noticed an odor.

What is the distinct odor? I feel like all CO2 I've dealt with had a "garage" smell... I don't know how to describe it, but it definitely has a scent. Maybe similar to ozone?

What is the distinct odor? I feel like all CO2 I've dealt with had a "garage" smell... I don't know how to describe it, but it definitely has a scent. Maybe similar to ozone?
I'm finding it difficult to describe as well. I would agree with "garage" and ozone-y.

CO2 is odorless, but can react with the moisture in your sinuses to create an odor or the sensation of an odor. The tingling in your nostrils when inhaling large concentrations of CO2 is carbonic acid. Many people believe that ozone is odorless too, and that the "sharp" or "metallic" smell is actually from the sensitive nasal tissues being destroyed and exposing blood vessels.

Back