monster mill question??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be just fine with that drill. Especially since it has a power cord. You won't have to worry about the battery life of a cheap drill. Which monster mill do you have?

That drill will work on the 3/8" shaft as noted, however, 2500 RPM is far faster than recommended.

I appreciate the idea of using a corded drill, but my cordless 14.4v Dewalt works fine on it's lowest speed with my MM 2 2.0. So for anyone looking to get a MM, no worries - as long as your drill takes a 1/2" bit it will work just fine.

The cordless will work fine. The only issue is getting a real consistant speed without getting bogged down. I have found that the torque on a bigger corded drill allows me to drop the speed down lower than my cordless drill.

I have not seen one in awhile but there used to be a hitachi corded drill that you could set the speed and lock the trigger. Would love to have that in a 1/2" chuck. Has anyone seen something like that? Imagine not having to hold the trigger down to mill :)

I have not seen one in awhile but there used to be a hitachi corded drill that you could set the speed and lock the trigger. Would love to have that in a 1/2" chuck. Has anyone seen something like that? Imagine not having to hold the trigger down to mill :)

That's how my Harbor Freight drill is. Trigger lock and a speed dial. If it was mounted somehow I could walk away. As it is, it would spin around and look hilarious but also likely shear the bolt off my mill.

JerseyJoe said:
Wow!! So this is the answer to my power milling dreams http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html
I am sure that I have enough duct, tape bailing wire and scrap lumber to figure a way to mount the drill so it doesnt take off. Just hope I get the cash for the drill before the model is dropped. Thanks tre9er

I'm thinking of a bucket upside down with a pice of plywood screwed to bottom like a table, then lay drill on it and screw that metal strapping around the handle into the plywood. Real. Ghetto.

I've got an 18 volt Milwaukee cordless drill (newer) and the MM-2 mill. I DO NOT like the way it runs when milling grains. It bogs down, stops, gets hot and smells hot. I immediately switched to my Milwaukee corded 1/2'' hole shooter.

The cordless will work fine. The only issue is getting a real consistant speed without getting bogged down. I have found that the torque on a bigger corded drill allows me to drop the speed down lower than my cordless drill.

You can use a small quick grip from Home depot to lock the trigger in place for proper speed. Works well for me.

Wow, my cheapie Craftsman 12v LI-ion drill blazes through 15lb grain bills w/ ease on low speed, no smoke, no smell, no heat.

The HF 1/2" low-speed/high torque model is hands free if you mount it. Mounting is pretty easy using the side-handle or rear-handle mount to bolt the unit to a modified chair or bucket or whatever. I put up a picture of my ghetto rig on one of the "motorize my mill" threads. The corded HF drill has worked flawlessly for me on a MM2. I can get it going nice and slow, lock the trigger, fill up the hopper and come back in five minutes and it's done.

I've got an 18 volt Milwaukee cordless drill (newer) and the MM-2 mill. I DO NOT like the way it runs when milling grains. It bogs down, stops, gets hot and smells hot. I immediately switched to my Milwaukee corded 1/2'' hole shooter.

I have an MM3, but I burnt out my dads old corded craftsman that he handed down to me on it.

Bought myself a Milwuakee corded 1/2" hole shooter and that thing runs it like a champ. Plus, the drill will be around for years and years.

If you're going to buy a drill... what about looking into a real motor and pulley system to get the speed where you want it. A used washer motor would do the job, some of them are 2 or even 3 speeds, with a little wiring you could have a nice system that wouldn't risk burning out a drill. Score a used motor free, buy a couple of pulleys and a v-belt and you might have less than $50 in it. I will be getting a mill sometime and this is what I plan to do, keeping my eyes open for the motor.

For ease of setup and cost, a HF drill can't be beat. $34.99 and some crap you have laying around to strap it down to a stool, bucket, scrap wood, etc. On slow it runs like 200RPM, perfect for milling.

For pretty, and perhaps long-term reliability (up for debate)...get a motor, sure.

I tried the cheapo drill route and ended up burning out the first one (granted it wasn't a HF one, just a cheap one I had laying around). I now just use my 18v Dewalt, never have an issue with it bogging down and never heats up at all, chews through grain like a champ.

I think a 1/2" drill, low speed, is key. The D-handle HF for $34.99 is a 10amp drill, too.

Back