Paw paw porter with pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trikodimaio

Reaction score
I have two gallons of porter that I sat on 2.5 pounds of paw paws a couple months ago. I picked the fruits in the woods of southern Ohio last Sept, but cleaned them and froze them. I thawed them to add to the porter two months ago and now clearly have a pellicle forming at the top. I don't taste any sour or funk - just fruit, alcohol and roast. Is this a sign of Brett or lacto taking hold? Should I just let it ride for a few month's after the fruit drops before deciding to bottle? About half of the fruit hasn't dropped out yet, so the pellicle is just sitting on top of it.

I have two gallons of porter that I sat on 2.5 pounds of paw paws a couple months ago. I picked the fruits in the woods of southern Ohio last Sept, but cleaned them and froze them. I thawed them to add to the porter two months ago and now clearly have a pellicle forming at the top. I don't taste any sour or funk - just fruit, alcohol and roast. Is this a sign of Brett or lacto taking hold? Should I just let it ride for a few month's after the fruit drops before deciding to bottle? About half of the fruit hasn't dropped out yet, so the pellicle is just sitting on top of it.

Hey, I recognize this beer :) Not sure I have any insight as to what may have caused the pellicle, but as long as it isn't mold I'd be in favor of letting it ride. And hopefully I'll get to taste it in a few months.

Latest posts

Back