Oaty the Oatmeal Stout critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Please critique this recipe, I am also torn about which yeast to use dry S0-4, or a liquid culture WLP004, WLP002, WLP007, WLP013, etc... I use White labs because Wyeast here is almost $9 and I get a 10% discount on WL which is normal $7.50.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.61 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.48 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 34.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 84.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 91.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs 6.7 oz Mild Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 2 74.5 %
1 lbs 4.2 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.4 %
1 lbs 4.2 oz Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.4 %
12.8 oz Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (80.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.4 %
12.8 oz Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.4 %
1 lbs 13.3 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
4.41 oz Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 35.3 IBUs
1.8 pkg London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [35.49 m Yeast 9 -
11.00 gal London, England Water 1 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 23 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 30.52 qt of water at 168.9 F 153.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 2 steps (4.41gal, 4.41gal) of 168.0 F water

3/4 pounds of each of the RB and the chocolate will be plenty(where do you get these strange quantities from? Who measures out 4.41 oz's of hops or 1 lb4.2 oz's of malt?)

I would also use more oatmeal-my recipe calls for 4.5 pounds for 10 gallons but that's probably excessive. I would use at least 3 pounds.

I also like a 20 minute Fuggle addition, maybe 2 oz's.

Finally I like WLP 004 for my oatmeal stouts, and a lot of time I use the yeast cake for my Imperial stout. I will also use S-04 sometimes if I decide to brew at the last minute and don't have time to make a starter.

3/4 pounds of each of the RB and the chocolate will be plenty(where do you get these strange quantities from? Who measures out 4.41 oz's of hops or 1 lb4.2 oz's of malt?)

I would also use more oatmeal-my recipe calls for 4.5 pounds for 10 gallons but that's probably excessive. I would use at least 3 pounds.

I also like a 20 minute Fuggle addition, maybe 2 oz's.

Finally I like WLP 004 for my oatmeal stouts, and a lot of time I use the yeast cake for my Imperial stout. I will also use S-04 sometimes if I decide to brew at the last minute and don't have time to make a starter.

I won't be brewing until Sunday, so I have plenty of time to make a starter, however, I will be splitting this batch and 1/2 of it will go into secondary with a few ounces of med. toast french oak cubes that I've been soaking in a pint mason jar with some Old no. 7 and two vanilla beans that were split.

Kind of my version of a barrel aged stout it is completely an experiment.

The weird measurements come from scaling down a larger recipe.

Actually, it is a scaled up version from 6 gallons to 11, and FWIW I do weigh out everything exact.

Right now I am getting 84% efficiency with my system, so I can't complain.

I'm the opposite-I don't weigh malt, I just measure "scoops" because my scoop holds 2 pounds of malted barley and 2.2 pounds of wheat. I do wiegh most dark and specialty malts that get used in small amounts. For my hops I weigh them and then throw an extra handful in to account for the age of the hops. (kind of an Occam's Razor approach to brewing)

Back