Pilsner Urquell Clone (BYO 250) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing my first Pilsner tomorrow and am using the Pilsner Urquell Clone (BYO 250) recipe. I notice the directions don't mention anything about Lagering; in fact, none of the other Pilsner recipes in the magazine reference the Lagering process, only Lagers. Pardon my ignorance, but this is a crucial step for a Pilsner too, correct? I'll be using Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager yeast. Thanks for any insight!

I am sure they omitted it only due to it being an obvious lager, just like they won’t go as far as telling you to us a lighter or a match to turn on the burner. I would just use your favorite lagering technique.

Good Luck, when is the scheduled brew date.

I'm brewing tomorrow morning. It will be my first Lager or Pilsner, so the process will be all new for me.

The strange thing is that only the Pils recipes don't mention Lagering. All the other Lager recipes I read specifically metioned reducing temp (for the Lagering phase).

It is the supposed original lager beer. What yeast are you thinking of using? That is really what makes a lager….a lager.

I plan on doing this recipe too - looks like you didn't get much help - but please post back what you plan to do for you lagering.

I am currently planning on doing the following - but this is a first time lager/pilsner for me too.

1. Pitch yeast at about 55F, wait for activity to halt after say 2 weeks.
2. bring up to room temp for 24hours to 3 weeks for diacetyl-rest (still debating how long)
3. Rack to kegs
4. lager at 32F for 2 months ish
5. carb and go

I did the BYO 250 Urquell clone last may. Came out pretty good. Used WLP800. I fermented at 52 for 5 days, bumped to 60 for 2 days and then lowered to 30 for 3 weeks. Kegged and carbed. Still had a bit of chill haze that didn't clear until the keg was about half gone.

Hi CM,

Here are a few things I've done thus far...and plan to do moving forward:

I pitched at 65F because I only had two packages of WYeast (Urquell) and didn't want to mess with a starter. After about eight hours, there was good fermentation, so I lowered to 55F. It has been fermenting like crazy since Saturday. I took a gravity reading yesterday and it was 1.038, so still a way to go. Also, I gave the sample a taste and it was fantastic. Hopefully that trend continues! lol I'll do a Fast Ferment Test (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers) to see where the Final Gravity should be and do a Diacetyl Rest when I start getting in that ballpark. As for lagering, I think I will rack to kegs and let is do its thing in there. Using that approach will free up my conical for a batch of ale in the interim. I'll post more results as they happen!

Thanks for the info J carp - I jsut bought my wyeast 2001 - same as WL800 so I can start building my starter. How big of a starter did you go with?

zymurgy - thanks for the details - much appreciated. Loooking forward to your results as well :)

I am thinking I will the the d-rest for 48 hours.

Sure, no problem. If you have BeerSmith, I can send you the file as well.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

16 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.0 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 10.1 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 30L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.1 %
2.60 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 32.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 7.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Pilsen Lager (Wyeast Labs #2007) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -

The forum doesn't seem to allow me to post a .bsmx file. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. :tank:

LOL Yes, I should have mentioned that is a 10 gallon batch!

I am the same as you though - I haven't done a 5 gallon batch in a LONG time :)

Just did my first double 10g day on my electric system last weekend - that was awesome. 20g of brew in 6 hours (splitting with my buddy/brew partner in crime).

Back