What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one brewing last Saturday and loved it. Should have had breakfast first, but I know I will be buying more asap

That's great. My local shop has an enormous walk-in humidor and had 3 types of Serie V sticks. I had one last year after 7-8 beers and I felt like I was flying.

It's mild month in the UK, so yesterday I was having Exe Valley's Darkest Devon. Cracking mild at just 3.9%. Plenty of dark fruits, some chocolate, hint of coffee, and a dry and slightly sour finish. No hops in sight, which is a welcome change.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400087738.204080.jpg

About to cool some wort.

That's great. My local shop has an enormous walk-in humidor and had 3 types of Serie V sticks. I had one last year after 7-8 beers and I felt like I was flying.

Haha it's awesome though right? I'm lucky I live across the street from the best cigar shop in the city. They sell to all the other stores in the valley. With my loyalty card I'm due for a free $100 next time I buy -1- stick :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I heard Franklins in Austin is great, but I am not sure if I want to wait in an 1-3 hour line for brisket.

Don't. Go to La Barbecue instead. Just get there earlyish (1130) to make sure they still have the full menu available. Plus free beer if you do have to wait in line.

Serie V will smack you up if you smoke it too quick. That's all I remember.

Have a crazy buzz. Hopefully I don't spill any wort when I begin transferring. ****.

It's more likely a pH issue than grain husk issue. A decoction boils the grains/husks without causing astringency. What kind of water do you brew with?

I start with RO water, plug my grain bill into Bru'n Water and make the adjustments to get all my vitals in line and my pH to low to mid 5's. Am I doing it right? I just bought a pH meter to test the mash to determine if I am using Bru'n Water correctly...but assuming I know how to read and weigh things with my digital scale, I have to believe my pH is in the correct range.

Finished that Sea Hag and canceled my 2 p.m. meeting. Why? Why not?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400088774.185943.jpg

I start with RO water, plug my grain bill into Bru'n Water and make the adjustments to get all my vitals in line and my pH to low to mid 5's. Am I doing it right? I just bought a pH meter to test the mash to determine if I am using Bru'n Water correctly...but assuming I know how to read and weigh things with my digital scale, I have to believe my pH is in the correct range.

You should be good doing all those things, I'm at a loss there. Do you ever add lactic acid or acidulated malt to lower your ph on your lighter colored beers?

Brother I don't think anyone here is wondering "why" you cancelled your 2:00.

My counterpart couldn't make it. I'm level-headed enough to hold my own meeting. And that's history.

Another beer.

Thanks guys. I ma looking forward to it.

Also, Rudy's and the salt lick are on my list for bbq. I heard Franklins in Austin is great, but I am not sure if I want to wait in an 1-3 hour line for brisket.

Salt lick it amazing. Hit Twisted X on the way down or up. Its on the way if you go 290 (i think). Make sure to bring cash to Salt Lick. Its Cash only. Get the family platter with little bit of everything

Brew day and clean-up are over.

Cleaning the garage and cars. Done with work for the week.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400092825.621179.jpg

Anybody else get annoyed that when Northern Brewer has special offers on kits its only for the extract ones? I realize they need to move the extract faster to keep their stock fresh, but there are so many kits I would have jumped on but have not since they dont offer the AG version. I dont really ever buy kits, but would if they have 20% off like they do now for a few pro-series kits.

Rant over, hitting the ice tea like it owes me money :D

Anybody else get annoyed that when Northern Brewer has special offers on kits its only for the extract ones? I realize they need to move the extract faster to keep their stock fresh, but there are so many kits I would have jumped on but have not since they dont offer the AG version. I dont really ever buy kits, but would if they have 20% off like they do now for a few pro-series kits.

I like to brew an extract once in a while (very rare) it reminds me of my noob days and I get to brew a beer in like an hour :D btw you have a saison to brew ;)

I like to brew an extract once in a while (very rare) it reminds me of my noob days and I get to brew a beer in like an hour :D btw you have a saison to brew ;)

Haha I will get to it! Ive only done one extract since going AG and it was because it was a gift. I did enjoy the convenience of it, but wouldnt want to pay almost double for the same kit just for the time factor.

Haha I will get to it! Ive only done one extract since going AG and it was because it was a gift. I did enjoy the convenience of it, but wouldnt want to pay almost double for the same kit just for the time factor.

Lol I do 1 extract kit a year because my sister always buys me one for Christmas

I got yet another e-mail for there pro series kits with free shipping...all extract kits??? even a pm kit would be nice now & then. I moved to pm myself,but the couple I have done now are E/SG kits. And yes,I too have a saison waiting for a fermenter to open up...:mug:

Meth vs. Chef. If you don't know, listen to Tical.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400095661.171839.jpg

Sitting for a bit after cleaning the cars in the driveway. ****.

Here is Northern Brewers response. I guess I never considering something like that haha

"The reason that the sales don't extend to all grains very often is that there is much more labor involved in building an all grain kit and our grain room can get backed up very quickly when there is high demand and that can lead to some long delays. All grain kits are generally less expensive to begin with as well."

How much did you vorluaf? Normally I do at least a half gallon, but sometimes a full gallon. Also, make sure you slowly pour it back in the mash. I always pour it back over a piece of aluminum foil I have poked holes in. Another thing is to make sure you start your vorlauf slowly, with close to the first half gallon run out with the valve half open, and opening it all the way right before you are down vorlaufing.

Did you crush the grain yourself or was it crushed for you?

I would also recommend rice hulls. I always use at least two hand fulls (~1/10lb per batch) but increase that if I am using wheat. I have never had a stuck sparge, knock on wood.

That's exactly what I do. The tin foil works great. I previously would vorlauf through a colander, but got tired of holding it over the mash. I typically recirculate about a gallon, sometimes more depending on the recipe.
I also crush pretty fine, so rice hulls make it in every beer I brew. I've never had issues with astringency or stuck sparge.

Afternoon coffee... boring day.

As to your questions, finsfan: I vorlaufed multiple gallons. Stuff just kept coming through. I crushed it myself. I opened the gate a little from where I set it when I was doing BIAB and (like a *******) did not look at what was coming out the other end until I had crushed the entire bag of grain. It was like sawdust.

Finally caught up with all the posts from this morning. Drinking water, coke, and medicine. Of course I would get sick during craft beer week with all the great events going on. Been feeling horrible since about 5:00AM. Thought I just had a little stomach bug. Now running fever and praying for death. So, in light of this, I'd like to formally invite one of my fellow alchys over to put me out of my misery. When you're finished, you can pilfer my 3 beer fridges, my cellar(beer closet) and my HB equipment. I won't be needing them what with being dead and all. ;)

Back