Apfelwine fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
I did a search, but couldn't find anything definite... I plan on bottling my amber ale next weekend and then making a batch of Edwort's Apfelwine in the vacated carboy. I read his recipe and it said ferment at room temperature. I understand wine yeast has a much wider range than typical ale yeast in terms of temp tolerance, but is it really ok to let it sit in my garage where the temp will swing from 70-85? I'm thinking that changing frozen water bottles out in a water bath for 2-3 months will be a PITA but will probably be well worth it.

I can't wait to move to a state that has basements.... only two more years hopefully!

Mine sat in the closet for 8 months at whatever temperature it was. Turned out great.

Yeah, Hawaii has got to be rough. :p

It is cool, but it isn't as glamorous as everyone makes it out to be. I'm a cold weather guy. Traffic and cost of living is disgusting here as well... cost me $33 for the ingredients to make Apfelwine and that was shopping on base which is dirt cheap compared to a local grocery store

Back