suggestions for my next batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
I haven't been able to make a batch in almost a year now between moving, school, work, too hot, etc. the house I'm in right now doesn't really have air conditioning where i'd be letting the wort ferment, it runs an average of roughly 72*F (sometimes a bit more, and rediculously humid, so swamp cooler won't really be effective) and was just wondering what I can make with the ambient temp high like this

hoping to make some sort of an IPA if that makes a difference

TIA!

Yup. Belgians. Although they advise keeping the temps below 75, I have fermented in the low 80s for some of mine. Adds character. :D That recipe is not bad, but a little complex. You might be able to find one that is really simple. I like allowing the yeast to provide most the flavor. And if you are fermenting on the hotter temps, yours certainly will.

I put my fermentor in an oil pan with water in it, with a t-shirt to wick up the water and a fan to evaporate it. It lowered the fermentation temperature by about six degrees.

Yup. Belgians. Although they advise keeping the temps below 75, I have fermented in the low 80s for some of mine. Adds character. :D That recipe is not bad, but a little complex. You might be able to find one that is really simple. I like allowing the yeast to provide most the flavor. And if you are fermenting on the hotter temps, yours certainly will.

thanks, i'll look around for a slightly simpler recipe, haven't had a good belgian in a while, so this'll certainly be an experience

You could also try a beer based around White Labs WLP862 (Cry Havoc). It's a hearty strain that can be used to brew either ales or lagers.

That having been said, I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm considering using it in a couple of my upcoming brews.

Another trick similar to what cravej mentioned is wrapping your fermenter with a towel soaked in cold water (maybe twice a day...once in the morning, once in the evening). It may be a bit of a hassle but it's a good way to have some control over the fermenting temp

Also, I brewed an Imperial Pale Ale back in July and the DC summer was a beast (near 100's almost every day and VERY humid) and my beer turned out fine. I don't have A/C but I left my beer to ferment in the basement in a cool, dark place and it worked out well. You definitely have lots of options!

Latest posts

Back