Equipment Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbo

Reaction score
I recently finished my home bar (pdf.) I’m a novice brewer and tired of bottling. I’ve been trying to purchase kegging equip. I may have been better off buying a 2 keg system tower -5lbs CO2 -kit for around $300 plus shipping but I was trying to save some $. I bought a fridge, 10lbs CO2 tank/hose, dual gauge single output regulator (new), 1 beer faucet, keg coupling (won’t use), for $150. Got a double tap brass tower on ebay (pdf) for $66 (+ $17 shipping) Am I doing ok?

I plan on buying 2 ball lock corney kegs (cleaned, pressure checked –not refurbished though) from brewersdiscount.com for $33 plus shipping) I don’t know what the hoses/hookups, clamps, connectors, will cost or where I’ll order them from. Any advice is appreciated.

Can anyone tell me specifics on what I need yet…i.e. hoses/diameters, connectors, clamps, etc. Will I need some sort of splitter at the CO2 tank to operate two kegs or possibly, later on, a third to a beer faucet out the side of the fridge? Any in line shut offs or a manifold of some sort? If someone could provide an itemized list it would be great! Sounds stupid but I would also appreciate a diagram of a two/three keg set up.

Also, I’ll be running about 2 ft of hose from the fridge straight to the tower. Will I need to cool the line with cold water/air or because it’s only a straight shot of 2 ft. will the fridge cool the line up through the tower by itself?
I’ve got more questions but that’s enough for the moment. Thanks.

I agree. Also I remember someone giving a link to a pdf file where it shows you how to calculate the length of tubing...balancing, I think it's called.

I have the kegs already andsupplies to refurbish...just buying the other equipment before I start kegging. With travel already set for Jan and Feb I probably won't get around to it until late spring next year.:(

Line balancing is here ...

http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html

As for your setup, I think your prices have been good to decent and you should end up with an excellent system that will serve you well.

My only suggestion is buy more kegs than you think you need.

I currently have 2 on tap, one conditioning in the other fridge, one full of line cleaner and 2 more waiting to be filled when I get back from Tucson.

They go faster thank you can believe.

Cheers,

knewshound

thanks for your suggestion. I'll go 2 kegs on tap and a couple more in reserve for conditioning and standing at the ready when I'm out.

Back