To Late To Start A Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
Looks like we are brewing tomorrow night. A Schwartz beer. Is it to late to start a starter w/ only 30 plus hours to go? I have a smack pack that I'd be starting from.

Thanks

Jamil's recommendation is actually to get the starter up and going 12-18 hrs prior to brewing so you should be good to go.

I do mine the night before - 18-24 hours before I pitch it. I've been using wyeast 1056 and 1098 I washed from other batches and they've been doing great that way.

Like others said - better to do it short than skip it altogether.

Agreed. Better to do it than not. I've done starters the night before, and some of those batches have kicked off faster than anything else. One was going great guns (roughly 2-3 bubbles/second) in just a few hours or so.

Get after it.

TL

Ive heard that the peak of living yeast cells usually occurs around that 12-18 mark as well, but only from research, not experience

I started mine late and within a few hours, it's bubbling rapidly. That's proof that the yeast will be multiplying rapidly. I need to rapidly take my heiny to bed.

Back