Cherry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of making some cherry cider. I was wondering if I took unsweetened cherry juice and added cider yeast would it end up decent? I love fresh cherry juice but am brand new to making cider.

Ive had good luck using 3 can of frozen apple-cherry juice concentrate with either EC1118 or D47 yeast, and then racking onto a pound of cherries.

This is for one gallon...

Use fresh cherries for a better taste, I would make a standard cider then rack onto a few pounds of cherries in the secondary until you get the desired flavour. That way you have the most control over the flavour.

Use fresh cherries for a better taste, I would make a standard cider then rack onto a few pounds of cherries in the secondary until you get the desired flavour. That way you have the most control over the flavour.

Door County, WI is known for there cherries and that is where my grandma lives and my little sister is visiting. I asked her to pick up some door county cherry juice for me, I love it. There are no preservatives added to the juice, it is just pasteurized. This is what I plan on using this time around.

Well if you're intent on using the juice I would basically do the same thing. Ferment the cider, stabilise and then add the juice to taste. You will get a secondary fermentation without stabilising or pasteurising though. The reason I would do this is because I'm unsure of the taste change with cherries (everything tastes different after fermentation, the biggest example is grapes into wine).

Door County, WI AKA "Cherryland" There is a company up there called cherry de-lite. There are tons of cherry orchards up there as well.

just found out that my sister my have gotten sweetened cherry juice. It's the same as the unsweetened, just with extra sugar, I assume this will only affect the final ABV though.

Back