Today I cried for the first time in a while

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
I finally went to see the doctors about my worsening heartburn/acid reflux. Well they did a blood test and said that I have some sort of bacterial infection thats causing my symptoms. They put me on a anti-biotic that, if I drink alcohol, will make me feel like I want to die. The doc made me look him in the eyes when he said this. He wanted to make sure I knew that it wasnt about the alcohol ruining the anti-biotic, but that if I drank it would make me sicker than I've ever been. I couldn't say anyting, I just felt the tear running down my cheek. SWMBO and I were supposed to go tour Stone Brewing Co. Now I cant have a drop for 2 weeks. (Sniffles and wipes away another tear) :(

That sucks, but at least you know what the problem is now so you can clear it up and get back to your regularly scheduled drinking!

Good luck kicking that bugs butt!

That really does suck, but I thought you were going to say something even sadder. No more beer EVER! Now I would sob. Has me worried actually cause it may become a reality with my GERD.

two weeks off booze because of metronidazole is better than forever off booze cause you're dead - (it wouldnt actually kill you but make you feel sick as a dog, metronidazole is related to an old drug called disulfiram [aka antabuse] that they use to give alcoholics to help them learn not to drink)

Theres a good chance I'm gonna try one anyways....just for sh!ts and giggles. I know I'll probably end up paying for it ten times over. It's like a red button with a sign over that reads "Dont Push" I mean come on.....

Here's the write up in Micromedex;
Warning:
Concurrent use of ETHANOL and METRONIDAZOLE may result in a disulfiram-like reaction (flushing, increased respiratory rate, tachycardia) or sudden death.
Clinical Management:

Avoid ethanol ingestion while on metronidazole therapy. In addition, ethanol beverages or products containing ethanol should not be consumed for at least three days after the discontinuation of metronidazole treatment.
Onset:
Rapid
Severity:
Major
Documentation:
Good
Probable Mechanism:
inhibition of acetaldehyde metabolism
Summary:

Some patients taking metronidazole experience disulfiram-like reactions (flushing, increased respiratory rate, increased pulse rate). This interaction has been reported with the intravenous, oral, and ******l tablet dosage forms (Penick et al, 1969; Tunguy-Desmarais, 1983; Alper et al, 1985; Plosker, 1987). There has been one case report of sudden death due to an interaction between metronidazole and ethanol (Cina et al, 1996). Although there is no convincing evidence to support the existence of a disulfiram-like reaction between ethanol and metronidazole, patients should avoid this combination until more conclusive evidence is available (Williams & Woodcock, 2000).

Now as bad as all that sounds, a beer or two (probably) ain't gonna kill ya... esp. if you're a young, otherwise healthy lad. But legally I have to counsel patients to not drink when I dispense the stuff. If it were me, I'd limit myself to one beer at a time, and a low alcohol one at that, till I was done with the Flagyl... you definitely don't wanna get "drunk". but that's just me. It's your liver! :mug:

Theres a good chance I'm gonna try one anyways....just for sh!ts and giggles. I know I'll probably end up paying for it ten times over. It's like a red button with a sign over that reads "Dont Push" I mean come on.....

stimpy.jpg

Doc told me recently that I should get an esophagoscopy to look for H. pylori (the bacteria that can cause heartburn). Been on Prevacid for a while, gonna suck if I have to give up beer for 2 weeks too. :mad:

Good luck!

Do you keg?????

If you did, you could brew something special, with a fairly medium gravity, force carb it and have it ready in 2 weeks....You could call it fortnight on the wagon now I can partyyyyy, ale. :D

I thought Alaskans were rugged. First you post that namby pamby thread about having Legionnaires Disease or superAIDS or somethin and now you cry over heartburn.

Do you keg?????

If you did, you could brew something special, with a fairly medium gravity, force carb it and have it ready in 2 weeks....You could call it fortnight on the wagon now I can partyyyyy, ale. :D

I think I'll do just that. Its looking like its gonna be a variation of Ed's Haus Ale, minus the drunken brewer.:cross:

I think I'll do just that. Its looking like its gonna be a variation of Ed's Haus Ale, minus the drunken brewer.:cross:

hmmm...sober brewing....No need to worry about forgetting to pitch yeast or something.:drunk:

(that would be an interesting thread....druken brewing nightmares...:D)

Hang with us the next two weeks, we'll keep you cheered up while the drugs heal ya!!!

Back