Island Mist temperature questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
Question about the Island Mist kits..

I am reading the directions for the Peach Apricot and it says.

First, Add 1/2 gallon of Hot water at beginning. What temperature is hot?

Second, add Warm 1/2 gallon to rinse out bag. What temperature is warm?

Third, top with lukewarm water to 6 gallon mark. What temperature is lukewarm?

Finally, pitch yeast between 65-75F.

BIG QUESTION. How do I obtain this temperature after all that heated water unless most is just 65-75 to begin with?

I'm thinking use hot tap water for first 1/2 gallon and 70 degree water for the rest..

lukewarm is just above room temp.
warm is about 90-115F
Hot is above 125 with 140 being ideal for Dishwashers.

FYI if you are this worried about something as basic as temps you need to really relax. Its just brewing wine. Its not something that is really critical. If it was they would have given you an exact temp.

My Lalvin yeast says "rehydrate in warm (104-109F) water NOT HOT"
Its important so they give a range.

If you need numbers to be comfortable use this following
Lukewarm 81 deg
warm 105 deg
hot 137 deg

(yes I picked numbers at random but they are all in the range they indicate.)

RDWHAHB or several. Its not as difficult as you are making it. Take a deep breath and you will be fine and make a good wine.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound desperate..

As a matter of fact, I used tap water as hot as it would come out of tap for the hot and then I used cold tap water for the rest. Otherwise, I could not see a good way to get it back down to 70'ish to pitch the yeast. I still ended up floating a ziplock bag of ice in there to get the temp down to 70.

Thanks for the answer though. It was just one of those poorly written (vague) directions with the kit.

You didn't sound desperate you sounded frustrated. The kind of frustration that comes from wanting to do something right and not feeling like you have all the info you needed. Its common here and I do it my self at times.

It really will be fine and you will have a good wine to drink when its over. Just remember when in doubt do nothing until you relax and think things over.

If my response seemed harsh it was not intended that way.

The kits are fool proof. For "hot water" I just use full hot from my tap. For warm I just use warm to the touch. The rest of the water I add is at room temp. I think you will be surprised that the half gallon of hot water doesn't really change anything at the end. It may raise the final temp by two or three degrees, but I was easily about 75 when I did mine a few days ago. (was bubbling away within 6 hours.)

Back