Help a newbie out... Can I use a garden hose instead of plastic tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drscott266

Reaction score
This may be a dumb one, but I already did a search for this and didnt find much. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it was a bad idea to use a cut off garden hose attached to my faucet to fill carboys after boiling, instead of plastic tube. More or less I am curious as to whether or not this would pose a sanitation issue with the wort. I am going to start another batch, and since my last one i found a 4 ft garden hose and attached a fitting to it... hoping someone can tell me if this combo is properly sanitized would there be any problems. Thanks in a advance!

The only way you should be using any type of "garden hose" is if it is one that is listed as being for potable water. Anything else, and you run the risk of lead contamination, as well as other problems like sanitation. Just don't do it. Get some tubing, buy it at Lowes instead of your LHBS, my LHBS charges about 4 times the price for tubing that Lowes does.

This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't use the tubing at Lowes/HD etc either. It's not the same.

If your in NOVA I think you only have one option and that's myLHBS in Falls Church. Otherwise there are plenty of shops on line.

Lowes/Home Depot/Menards should have braid-reinforced vinyl tubing, which is good for both hot and cold liquids

I just bought 10ft of 3/8" braided for $5.98..... otherwise, for siphoning room temp, i buy 10 ft of standard vinyl 3/8" for something like $2.49?

Kilted Brewer said:
This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't use the tubing at Lowes/HD etc either. It's not the same.

How So? The Tag on the stuff (clear 3/8id vinyl) I bought at Home Depot said that it was food grade, FDA Approved...

somecallmetim said:
How So? The Tag on the stuff (clear 3/8id vinyl) I bought at Home Depot said that it was food grade, FDA Approved...

Well, if you got Food Grade, I'd say your fine. Again, my opinion, but I used the stuff from HD for my one batch and it had horrible plastic, off flavor, aromas and taste. What I got wasn't food grade. If HD/Lowe's etc have food grade, and you can confirm it...I guess go for it.

Food grade is okay definitely but the garden hose is a definite no go, especially if other people are drinking it as well. Hoses for this are pretty cheap and easy to find.

Kilted Brewer said:
Well, if you got Food Grade, I'd say your fine. Again, my opinion, but I used the stuff from HD for my one batch and it had horrible plastic, off flavor, aromas and taste. What I got wasn't food grade. If HD/Lowe's etc have food grade, and you can confirm it...I guess go for it.

Well, considering that they sell it for ice makers and the like, all I can tell you is that I paid for tubing once from my LHBS, and have purchased everything else from Lowes, and have never had a problem.

Back