Hopslam!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would anyone hate me if I said I'm not all that impressed by the Hopslam?

I'll enjoy it, yes, but I've had better DIPAs.

I just tried a couple this weekend. First one on Sat. I couldnt pin down the flavor, Sunday I realized its grapefruit, waaayy to much grapefruit for my taste.
That leaves more of it for the rest of ya guys.

I love the 2hearted ale, I've got 10gal. fermenting now:rockin:

At $17 to $20 a sixer, I wish them success, so I hope everyone else will buy it. I won't.

I don't mind paying $3 a bottle as long as the beer is high quality. Heck, when I go out to dinner I always pay more than that for a mediocre beer.

I paid $6 for a single. That'll give me my fix for the year. Pricy I know, but that's what I'd pay for it on draft somewhere.

Dude wasn't even selling them but I spotted the empty case in with the recycling and hounded him till he folded:)

As a fan, I find it hard not to evilly gloat that I found a super secret location with over a case left ...not counting the two 6's I brought home. :)

The next logical question is... where is a good recipe for cloning? (For some reason, the search function doesn't work for me as it once did)

So I got a 2 sixers for just under 22.00 each here in the DC area. They had at least a case more. Should I go back? Never had it before. I hope it lives up to the hype.

image-3445338928.jpg

Clt2DC said:
So I got a 2 sixers for just under 22.00 each here in the DC area. They had at least a case more. Should I go back? Never had it before. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Where in DC? Most places in NOVA I've checked sold out last week.

As a novelty beer, I don't mind paying the high price. It may not be worth the whole 3 bucks per bottle but I've spent more money on crappy beer when I go to the bar. I still enjoy it. I have 1 bottle left, I plan on drinking it tonight. Cheers.

As a novelty beer, I don't mind paying the high price. It may not be worth the whole 3 bucks per bottle but I've spent more money on crappy beer when I go to the bar. I still enjoy it. I have 1 bottle left, I plan on drinking it tonight. Cheers.

Considering what they could be charging for putting this in bombers,also. 6 bucks for a bomber of about anything is considered cheap and Im shure they wouldnt be selling it at 6 bucks-I guess they could though.There are alot of (some not so good) imperial bombers that sell over 10-20 bucks each,also. This would be one of them that could sell at those higher prices in a bomber easily.

Would anyone hate me if I said I'm not all that impressed by the Hopslam?

Because I'm not.

I think it has an odd sweetness and syrupy mouthfeel that feels like it finished too high. The aroma from the Simcoe seems overly garlicky and sticky-rotten citrus. And the flavor is kinda "meh".

I'll enjoy it, yes, but I've had better DIPAs.

Yeah, Im with ya on the odd sweetness. I enjoyed it but prefer Two Hearted.

Paid $18.99/sixer.

I love this beer, but I do agree that I think it tasted better in the past. It is still great though. We've drank about case here, 1 or two for my wife, and about 22 for me. It is her favorite beer and always comes out in January just in time for her birthday. We always have it at her birthday celebrations. I bought it at 15.99 and 16.99 depending on the location. I didn't see it at the grocery store this week. Maybe it is already gone? Around here you can usually find it at any Meijer or Busch's grocery store. We have one left in the fridge and it's my wife's. I guess I might have to wait for next year for some more.

I should go down and pick up another sixer. I think this years was better than last years, but it's been even better before that. (Or maybe it was just a bit more of a novelty before?)

I think I only have 3 left in my fridge. Hard to find an evening when I can sit down and enjoy it without having to run off somewhere.

:mug::mug:from Berkley, MI (near Detroit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this site trying to locate some 2013 Bells Hopslam Ale. Still haven't found any on Draft or in Bottles. I even emailed Bells and asked them to send another case to a Party Store near me that already sold out of 10 cases. The rep at Bells was rather rude, and just told me to do the stuff that I had already done to find some. No Luck !
Didn't realize a "spring" Ale would already be sold out in the Home State of the Brewery by the end of January !! They're still shipping Hopslam to out of State locations, but I can't get any when I live 3 hours away from the Brewery. Every Bar and Retailer listed on Bells Beer Finder, that I have called is sold out. Anybody have any place near Detroit where I can try some of this Beverage for the very 1st time ?? I would appreciate it very much.

:mug::mug:from Berkley, MI (near Detroit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this site trying to locate some 2013 Bells Hopslam Ale. Still haven't found any on Draft or in Bottles. I even emailed Bells and asked them to send another case to a Party Store near me that already sold out of 10 cases. The rep at Bells was rather rude, and just told me to do the stuff that I had already done to find some. No Luck !
Didn't realize a "spring" Ale would already be sold out in the Home State of the Brewery by the end of January !! They're still shipping Hopslam to out of State locations, but I can't get any when I live 3 hours away from the Brewery. Every Bar and Retailer listed on Bells Beer Finder, that I have called is sold out. Anybody have any place near Detroit where I can try some of this Beverage for the very 1st time ?? I would appreciate it very much.

look at post #54

I thought it was malty and boozy this year, but maybe it was just a bad bottle

Back