Wyeast PACMAN for Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an all Pilsner malt that calls for a lager yeast. Having a lot of PACMAN in the fridge, I'd like to know if this would be suitable.

PACMAN can work in the upper 50's so ....

I plan on brewing an all Pilsner malt that calls for a lager yeast. Having a lot of PACMAN in the fridge, I'd like to know if this would be suitable.

PACMAN can work in the upper 50's so ....

I read somewhere " a leopard can't change its spots.....". It's still going to be Pacman. IMHO, the ale lovers wouldn't like the beer because of the changed flavor profile (less fruity esters etc) and the lager lovers wouldn't like it since it wouldn't have a lager flavor profile ( dry, crisp character that some call "twang"). Drop the dime for your choice of lager yeast is my 2c. :)

It's an Abita Andygator clone, supposed to be a doublebock, 100% Pilsner.

I was hoping to use my surplus of Pacman ...

I've had yeast that I couldn't get a starter going on. (it was old )
I changed up the yeast for something that was in the house since it' over 1 1/2 hours to the brew store.
Next time I made the beer I used the substitute yeast again. It was a surprise improvement.

If it's what you've got, go for it and see what you get.

Back