Efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcp197

Reaction score
I made my fourth brew and first all grain (BIAB) last night...a dragons milk clone. My OG came out at 1.071, but the BYO magazine said it should be 1.080. I brewed 5.5 gal to account for trub loss. I plugged the grains and gravity into brewers friend to get my efficiency and it looks like I was at 80% which was very surprising. Did the volume difference account for the gap between my OG and the 1.08 or am I missing something?? Thoughts on how this will affect taste of the finished product?

If your OG was supposed to be 1.080, and you came in at 1.071, then you did NOT hit 80% efficiency. The recipe should have assumed 72-75% efficiency, so with 72-75% efficiency, you would have been at 1.080 OG.

You had an actual efficiency closer to the high 60s, like 66-68%ish. At 80% actual efficiency, you would have been closer to 1.09 OG.

Did you not plug in that you yielded 5.5 gallons instead of 5.0? One of the numbers in your efficiency calculation is off.

Is this a pre-boil efficiency calculation, or post-boil?? Did you account for temp?

If your OG was supposed to be 1.080, and you came in at 1.071, then you did NOT hit 80% efficiency. The recipe should have assumed 72-75% efficiency, so with 72-75% efficiency, you would have been at 1.080 OG.

You had an actual efficiency closer to the high 60s, like 66-68%ish. At 80% actual efficiency, you would have been closer to 1.09 OG.

Did you not plug in that you yielded 5.5 gallons instead of 5.0? One of the numbers in your efficiency calculation is off.

Is this a pre-boil efficiency calculation, or post-boil?? Did you account for temp?

Efficiency does not change whether you take a gravity reading pre-boil or post boil. The only thing that changes is volume, not the amount of sugar you extracted from the grain. We don't know what his grain bill was, so we can't determine his efficiency.

To the OP. The added volume is your culprit. If you had 5.5 gallons of 1.071 gravity wort then you had ~390 points (71 x 5.5 = 390). Divide 390 points by 5 gallons and you get a gravity of ~1.078. Pretty close to the 1.080 you were shooting for.

Thanks for the input. I checked my numbers i entered in brewers friend multiple times and did input 5.5 gal. The only thing I couldn't do was enter a last grain, but it was .25 lb, so I didn't think it was a huge deal. Here's my grain bill:

10 lb 2 row
1.5 lb Munich malt
.5 crystal 80
.5 crystal 120
.5 flaked oats
10 oz chocolate malt
.25 wheat malt

Back