Search for Bochet samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoutela

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you might have some bochet you wouldnt mind parting with. Even if it's a 12 oz bottle.
Or maybe a source for purchasing a possible commercial sample.

Would love to get an idea of what a final product is like.

Would be willing to pay shipping or possibly offer some homebrew or the like as a trade !
I have a fresh batch of a Saison styled braggot I just brewed that maybe you might be interested in.

Oh, I didn't know about shipping stuff. Last I read it wasn't legal to ship alcohol by yourself.

That's pretty darned cool. I guess it's time I do this with some friends of mine.

Oh well, sorry for the de-rail.

I hate to burst bubbles but here is a quote from a winery I was reading up on.

"No, it is never legal for an individual to ship wine. The US Postal services will not carry alcohol under any circumstances.* Both FedEx and UPS have company policies that strictly prohibit accepting alcohol shipments from individuals for delivery.* These rules are based on their requirement that only entities who have signed a “wine shippers agreement”, which has special provisions regarding liability and packaging requirements as well as reporting components for deliveries into the other states.* These agreements are only available to license alcohol retailers and wineries themselves.* A primary reason for this is also the special handling and adult signature requirements that are required for alcohol deliveries.* The goal is to avoid any possibility of a package being delivered into the hands of a minor.* Packages shipped under the wine agreements have to meet rigorous labeling standards, and cannot be handled in the normal default manner of other packages (i.e. adult signature (over 21 years of age) is required for delivery, there can be no signature waiver, and packages cannot be left even with a consumer signature request – the delivery must be made in person so ID can be checked.)* Most states do NOT allow shipments from individuals to enter their state – regardless of these rules though, the carriers do not make such shipments."

If any individual wants to try and ship anything across state lines thenake sure to not hide it. Talk to ups or fedex and make sure they are ok with the transaction and that no laws are being broken. Now these are rules for cross state shients so if you are in state I think that is different. Still talk to ups and fedex.

I hate to burst bubbles but here is a quote from a winery I was reading up on.

"No, it is never legal for an individual to ship wine. The US Postal services will not carry alcohol under any circumstances.* Both FedEx and UPS have company policies that strictly prohibit accepting alcohol shipments from individuals for delivery.* These rules are based on their requirement that only entities who have signed a “wine shippers agreement”, which has special provisions regarding liability and packaging requirements as well as reporting components for deliveries into the other states.* These agreements are only available to license alcohol retailers and wineries themselves.* A primary reason for this is also the special handling and adult signature requirements that are required for alcohol deliveries.* The goal is to avoid any possibility of a package being delivered into the hands of a minor.* Packages shipped under the wine agreements have to meet rigorous labeling standards, and cannot be handled in the normal default manner of other packages (i.e. adult signature (over 21 years of age) is required for delivery, there can be no signature waiver, and packages cannot be left even with a consumer signature request – the delivery must be made in person so ID can be checked.)* Most states do NOT allow shipments from individuals to enter their state – regardless of these rules though, the carriers do not make such shipments."

If any individual wants to try and ship anything across state lines thenake sure to not hide it. Talk to ups or fedex and make sure they are ok with the transaction and that no laws are being broken. Now these are rules for cross state shients so if you are in state I think that is different. Still talk to ups and fedex.

You're not bursting anyone's bubble as this is a misleading statement.

Fedex and UPS handle shipments of alcohol from individuals all the time. And yes, a signature must be required by an individual 21 years old or older.

Also keep in mind, there are hundreds of shipments of homebrews, wines, and meads shipped all over the U.S. for competitions.

I appreciate your input though.

I love how easily a simple inquiry can get immediately derailed.

As listed in my original post, a source for a meadery that produces brochet would be appreciated as well.

Bloody stupid post-prohibition rules on alcohol you lot have over there in the US. Made worse by having one set of Federal rules/laws and a further set imposed at State level, with different states having different rules/regs.

If some will send smoutela a small bottle too taste, as you don't have to label the parcel with contents i.e. no customs declaration, just pack it well, make sure there's little to no "slosh" from the bottle, and then put your username from here and a bogus post code/ZIP for the "sender". Either way you won't get it back will you. Either smoutela will receive it and drink it or the "Feds" will detect it and sieze and dump it. How are they gonna find who sent it with a username and bogus ZIP !

As an aside, I've not heard or seen of any commercially produced bochet, not to say that it doesn't exist though.......:ban:

People ship beer/mead all the time...for contests, trades, sharing with family/friends. There are mutiple threads you can search on how to package properly and send homebrew. The basics: 1) packaging, packaging and more packaging. (Using ziploc bags is a very good idea too). 2) put it in a box, seal it up and address it. 3) take it to UPS. If they happen to ask, the box contains "homemade sauce," or "marinade" or "yeast samples," or whatever else you feel like saying.

Back