Spent Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fat

Reaction score
Ok, I just moved up to 10 gallon batches, and am brewing more often than in the past. Until now, I've just put my spent grain into the compost bin. But now, my compost bin is full (about 80% with barley). It's more of a barley-rot bin than anything else at the moment. Recycling is big here, so trash is only picked up once a month.

So for all who do bigger batches, what do you do with your spent grain??

JEM Australia said:
Can you form it into small blocks, dry it and burn it in your fire place? (Assuming you have a fire place or wood stove?) Portland's a cold place right?

You know, I hadn't really thought of that. But I think I'd need to dry it out first. Otherwise, it would only dry on the outside of the 'block', and mold in the center. So I'd need to think of a way to dry a 10 gal mash worth of grain...
Worth some thought though... Thanks.

Most local breweries seem to leave their grain in 55 gal barrels outside for farmers to pick up. You might be able to check with your local and see if you can add a few pounds to their farmer pile.

Last winter I left some of the grain out for the animals. It was a horrible idea. It attracted moles, or rats, or molerats, or mole people or something - but they tore up the back yard. The rest goes into the compost.

rooftopbrew said:
Most local breweries seem to leave their grain in 55 gal barrels outside for farmers to pick up. You might be able to check with your local and see if you can add a few pounds to their farmer pile.

Last winter I left some of the grain out for the animals. It was a horrible idea. It attracted moles, or rats, or molerats, or mole people or something - but they tore up the back yard. The rest goes into the compost.

That's a good idea. Hair of the Dog is only a couple of blocks from me. I wonder if he'd mind a few extra pounds of grain sitting outside of his place...

It's great feed for farmers' stock. It also makes great compost, but I hear what you're saying about volume. We have 40 acres and just sort of spread it around to dry quickly. Still, the whole hillside is covered in grain.

We have a flock of 30 wild turkeys who *love* brew day ;)

You can grow mushrooms in it too. But obviously, that would be a whole other tremendous project with the volume you have.

Uncle Fat said:
Ok, I just moved up to 10 gallon batches, and am brewing more often than in the past. Until now, I've just put my spent grain into the compost bin. But now, my compost bin is full (about 80% with barley). It's more of a barley-rot bin than anything else at the moment. Recycling is big here, so trash is only picked up once a month.

So for all who do bigger batches, what do you do with your spent grain??

I just spread it on the veg plot, if no bare patches just mulch standing crops, you should see the crops and the worms. The chickens like a small amount as well.

Roger said:
I just spread it on the veg plot, if no bare patches just mulch standing crops, you should see the crops and the worms. The chickens like a small amount as well.

Hehe. That's work well if I had crops or chickens.... or even a bigger yard.

I have heard it is supposed to be good for your soil in the garden, although I have not tried this but the deomposition of it will fertilize the garden......

rooftopbrew said:

I'm on my 5th HB and i can just picture Hans Moleman doing the bird dance in your back yard :p :p :p

rooftopbrew said:

LMAO!! :D :D

Big crew of turkeys was out eating the grain yesterday. I guess it's mating season because the males are strutting their stuff and they're all puffed up like Thanksgiving decorations. Here are some pics I took of them (I really needed a telephoto, but oh well).

turkey1.jpg

turkey2.jpg

turkey3.jpg

What about spent hop flowers? Would the natural anti-bacterial compounds in them retard the decomposition of the grains? Can you dump them both together?

Hops have anti-bacterial properties, but they aren't like bleach or anything. They compost down very quickly.

I just dump em next to the grain. I don't think the turkeys like em though.

Back