High temp fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polock Joe

Reaction score
Are there any beers/yeasts/recipes that prefer warm-ish fermenting? I have an IPA going right now but it is always wrapped in wet towels. THX

I am currently fermenting a Hefe with the temp around 74-76F. I am looking to get the banana flavor in this one.

Belgians and Belgian yeasts do well at warmer temps. They tend to be fusel. But Belgians are supposed to be that way.

For english ale styles,
British Ale II (Wyeast 1335) is supposed to be good up to 75F.
London Ale III (Wyeast 1318) is supposed to be good up to 74F.

I've used the london ale yeast from White Labs up to 75deg and it was okay (but not great).

I would suggest an ice bath over the wet towel approach personally. Last year I did wet towels with mixed results. This summer I bought and Igloo Ice Cube cooler and some polystyrene insulation to make new lids. With 4 1litre bottles of ice and the lid firmly on I can maintain 58deg temps even when the ambient air temp is over 90deg. It's less of a pain than keeping towels wet and works so well I am contemplating lagering in the cooler this winter when the ambient air temp is on 65deg.

feedthebear said:
Belgians and Belgian yeasts do well at warmer temps. They tend to be fusel. But Belgians are supposed to be that way.QUOTE]

Just fiinished Stan Hieronymus (author of Brew Like a Monk) podcast on belgians: http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=60. They pitch cool and allow the heat of fermentation to warm them up in a controlled fashion over several days. They are not supposed to have fusel alcohols but many brewed here do as we pitch hot and ferment hot.

Got Trub,

I don't think the fusel taste is as bad as you think it is. And some fusel alcohol is acceptable in Sassion, Grand Cru, and Biere de Garde styles.

I pitched my Grand Cru at 85F. My room temp was about 75F. It stayed above 80 for the first 24 hours. Since pitching, my room temp is staying about 75F, +/- 2F.

After when I racked it after two weeks in the primary, it had some fusel taste. I pulled a sample from it over the weekend, after it had been in the secondary for about a week. The fusel taste is all but gone.

Back