Somewhat Mild Mannered Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scaylos

Reaction score
I've been lurking HBT for years now and decided that I'd share what I've currently got in the carboy. I'll update as things progress.

Having received a corny keg for my birthday late last month, I decided to have a go at an English Mild, specifically Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale. Furthermore, I decided to try no-chill and to keg it to share with friends at an upcoming event. However, as often seems the case in my brewing experiences, several things went "wrong", so, I had to improvise. Here's the list:

• Unable to get a hold of Maris Otter in time to brew
  • Brew Calculus only goes up to 177°L, leading to my formulating a darker recipe than intended (next time I'm going back to doing calculations by hand)
  • Sustained power outage beginning 5 min from intended flame-out (electric burner) and lasting 4 days. This lead to higher than expected wort losses during transfer (candle-light) and low fermentation temperatures.

Here's the recipe that I formulated for this brew copied off of Brew Calculus:
Code:
Malt Bill
% 	LB 	OZ 	Malt or Fermentable 	ppg 	°L
44% 	3 	8 	2 Row Malt          	34 	2 	
13% 	1 	0 	Black Patent        	26 	177 	
13% 	1 	0 	Cara-Pils             	33 	1 	
13% 	1 	0 	Crystal 40L          	34 	40 	
13% 	1 	0 	Munich               	34 	10 	
6% 	0 	8 	Chocolate            	34 	127 

Hop Bill
use 	          time 	        oz 	variety 	form 	aa
first wort 	60+ mins 	0.6 	Willamette 	leaf 	5.2
boil 	      45 (25) mins 	0.5 	Willamette 	leaf 	5.2

Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Mash
Single-step Infusion Mash: 60min @ 70C @ 1.25 qt/lb
No mash-out, double batch sparge (5 gal MLT didn't quite take all sparge water in the first go)

Pre-fermentation OG: 1.040

Notes: No-chill in Corny keg out in the snow for a few hours.

SG @ 1 wk: 1.028

FG: 1.018

Kegged and served after yeast flocced out (like cottage cheese!). A bit under-attenuated but with very malty and complex flavor character. Subtle malt character and while black, definitely the clearest beer I've ever brewed (will update with picture later today).

Over all, I'm quite pleased with the performance of my 5 gal mash tun on its maiden brewage. I'll definitely make it again, hopefully without dropping below fermentation temp this time.

Also, I think I will try blending it in glass with some of my soured pumpkin ale.

EDIT: Attached is the picture as promised. It's too dark to see through but when in smaller volumes, its clarity is astounding. The relatively small amount of trub has made me a whole hop convert.

PICT0024.jpg

Back