carbing kegs at different times...one regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does if they have two kegs and go through them at different times...you can only run one serving pressure to both kegs so how do you carb a new one when other is tapped? Just un hook the other...blast 30psi and let it sit for a few days then hook it in with the other at serving pressure?

I'm just about to kick my first keg, and i have a setup like you're describing. My plan is to hook the new one up to serving pressure, and try to not drink any for 2-3 weeks. My ultimate goal is to have a healthy enough pipeline to carbonate with sugar, and leave in storage until there is space in the fridge.

I generally chill the new keg down (more CO2 solubility at lower temps), then unhook the other kegs (or turn the valves off). I then crank it up to 30 PSI, and shake the keg for a couple minutes. Then I hook everything up and turn the valves back on, with PSI at serving pressure of 10 PSI or so. The new keg then just sits in my lagering/fermentation chamber until it's ready to hook up. If the carbonation is off by a bit, it usually doesn't take more than a few days on the serving pressure to get where I want it.

That being said, I think at least with ales, I'm going to try carbonating with sugar in the keg.

I have a WYE and a distributor so I can have 5 kegs on the system. They are all set at the same pressure, but I can turn it off to the other kegs and have one at a higher pressure. That's not my preferred way, as I've found that burst carbing (using a higher pressure for a short time) seems to cause me some foaming that I don't get when I keep the whole system at 12 psi.

I agree.....I just set the second keg at serving pressures and wait 2-3 weeks. Works for me.

Alright...thanks guys...I think I will just blast this keg and hopefully by the next one I will have enough reserve to be able to just run at serving pressure... Noob question but if I were to do a slow carb 10~12 psi...over s couple Weeks...does that need to be hooked up to the tank the whole time or can I pressurize then take off the gas and let it sit?

Just buy this: northernbrewer - 2 way distributor with shutoff

co2-dist.jpg

and you problem is solved.

Back