Wild Yeast or something else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So I had some left over wort from my quad that I threw into a mason jar and kept out. It's only been 2 days but I have some good activity going. I know the wild yeast thread said 2 weeks for some good wild yeast. Just looking to clarify if this could be it, or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-25774761.jpg

Doesn't have any real smell or taste as of yet. I was afraid it was the yeast I recently used (Trappist High Gravity). I guess I will let it sit for a day or two and when I sample my Quad I will try this and see if it is similar...

I'm confused by both your posts, are you saying you pitched yeast into there? You said this was extra wort...was it pre or post yeast pitch? Obviously if you pitched yeast, it's gonna be the yeast you used...but if you didn't then more than likely it's something wild....it could be anything.

I'm confused by both your posts, are you saying you pitched yeast into there? You said this was extra wort...was it pre or post yeast pitch? Obviously if you pitched yeast, it's gonna be the yeast you used...but if you didn't then more than likely it's something wild....it could be anything.

It sounds to me like the OP was talking about pre-pitch. It's quite possible that the "wild" yeast in the brewing area is mostly "escaped" domesticated yeast from prior brews, so it could be a recently-used strain, but certainly countless other microbes are going to be around as well.

Is it just me, or does that look really yellow? Is it just the lighting, maybe?

It was pre-pitch wort, no yeast was added to this sample. I didn't know if it was the yeast I used because the open container was like <10 feet from the carboy/blowoff bucket.

Looking at it, it did look a little yellow, but it seemed more yellow after the photo I took with my phone. I am going to check it out over the weekend and see where it is at and if it is similar at all to my main fermentation.

Back