Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale Clone (all grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
I've found a few recipes online for Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale, but some were extract, some were extract converted to AG, but they all differ. I was wondering if anyone had a true, solid AG recipe for this beer they could share (possibly the one from BYO 250 clone recipes edition, which I might buy...but was hoping to score the recipe beforehand to see if I want to buy it to try the rest) or one that you've tried and know to be very similar to DFH's beer.

Looking to brew this as my first beer in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance!

--Julian

julian81 - I dig this beer too. Austin Home Brew has a kit available, all grain, partial-grain, and extract.

The ingredients are not listed though. I emailed asking for the grain bill but my message was ignored ...

julian81 - I dig this beer too. Austin Home Brew has a kit available, all grain, partial-grain, and extract.

The ingredients are not listed though. I emailed asking for the grain bill but my message was ignored ...

Yeah I wish sometimes they'd just make those public. I mean I'll buy the grain from them, but I want to scale the recipe for my batch size and brewhouse efficiency.

When I punch in the AG recipe from BYO 250 I get a very light SRM 18 color vice the stated 32. I must have one of the grains messed up or the recipe is not correct in the magazine. The extract recipe in BYO 250 is different from Sam's book too. The BYO recipes call for Pilsner Malt and have a different hop schedule and yeast. Supposedly the BYO recipes had help from Bryan Selders at DFH.

I want to do a brown shortly but am torn between four recipes.
Tasty's Janet's Brown
Sparky's Nut Brown from here
DFH Indian Brown clone
Cigar City Maduro Brown need a recipe though.

Here is what I have been playing with in BeerSmith based on the BYO recipe. Supposed to be SRM = 32 though. IBUs a bit low too supposed to be 50.

Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.62 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 17.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 12.0 ozPilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.84 %
15.2 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
10.9 oz Amber Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 4.86 %
10.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.86 %
6.6 oz Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
2.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.00 %
0.25 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
0.75 oz Warrior [16.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.9 IBU
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.33 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
6.1 oz Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 2.72 %
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Notes:
------
Mash in 15 qt at 152 F.
Caramelize sugar in kettle prior to runoff.

I read something about this actually, and I think BYO made a recipe correction in the May issue of 2005 to the recipe you're using. Actually I just did a quick google and found the following thread posted by the editor of BYO magazine himself.

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=7993

What happens if you make those changes in beersmith? Would you mind posting the recipe from BYO too?

Thanks!
Julian

When I punch in the AG recipe from BYO 250 I get a very light SRM 18 color vice the stated 32. I must have one of the grains messed up or the recipe is not correct in the magazine. The extract recipe in BYO 250 is different from Sam's book too. The BYO recipes call for Pilsner Malt and have a different hop schedule and yeast. Supposedly the BYO recipes had help from Bryan Selders at DFH.

I want to do a brown shortly but am torn between four recipes.
Tasty's Janet's Brown
Sparky's Nut Brown from here
DFH Indian Brown clone
Cigar City Maduro Brown need a recipe though.

So from this recipe, it looks like the correction I mentioned above (http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=7993) was already in place, although I don't have the original BYO recipe to compare to...but it looks like you have a total of 0.5oz of dry hops in that recipe and not 16oz.

Have you tried brewing this?

--Julian

Here is what I have been playing with in BeerSmith based on the BYO recipe. Supposed to be SRM = 32 though. IBUs a bit low too supposed to be 50.

Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.62 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 17.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 12.0 ozPilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.84 %
15.2 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
10.9 oz Amber Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 4.86 %
10.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.86 %
6.6 oz Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
2.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.00 %
0.25 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
0.75 oz Warrior [16.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.9 IBU
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.33 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
6.1 oz Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 2.72 %
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Notes:
------
Mash in 15 qt at 152 F.
Caramelize sugar in kettle prior to runoff.

Yeah, I found a ton of similar responses from my googling around last night, but was hoping to find the equivalent AG recipe. I heard the extract recipe turns out pretty well though...

The recipe is in Sam's book Extreme Brewing, it's extract though.

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=7993

What happens if you make those changes in beersmith? Would you mind posting the recipe from BYO too?

Thanks!
Julian
That link only corrects the Dry Hops amount. The correction was already incorporated into the BYO 250 magazine and hence my posted recipe.

That is the BYO recipe. If you factor out the brown sugar you will see that the grains are all whole percentages.
Pilsner 79%
Corn 7%
Amber 5%
Crystal 5%
Coffee 3%
Barley 1%
Which makes sense when you read the correction thread linked earlier to how they scale the recipes. I just can't figure out how that grain bill gets you to an SRM of 32.

Maybe caramelizing the brown sugar darkens the beer? I haven't brewed this yet.

Well, I'm planning on brewing it within the next 2 weeks so unless you beat me to it, I'll let you know how it turns out :) Thanks again for your help and posting the recipe!

I just can't figure out how that grain bill gets you to an SRM of 32.

Maybe caramelizing the brown sugar darkens the beer? I haven't brewed this yet.

I did AHS all grain and have their recipe/instructions. Unfortunately I am headed out of town for the weekend. If anyone wants it, PM me and I will get it to you sometime Monday or Tuesday after I return.

Sheldon

PS the brew was really nice, easy going down.

It will likely be a month or two before I get to this as I have an IPA scheduled for this weekend and then my travel schedule gets busy. I still haven't decided on what Brown I want to do either, too many good choices. Keep us posted Julian.

What is the process for caramelizing the brown sugar? And I don't get "prior to run-off" - what exactly does that mean?

Caramelizing is basically melting the sugar, there are a bunch of how-to's on the web. I would do this right in my boil keggle before adding the first run-off from the mash...hence prior to run-off.

Would you add the brown sugar pre-boil or somewhere near the end of the boil? Some recipes call for the last 10 minutes. What is the purpose of a timed addition?

Is anything lost during the boil?

No idea of what a shorter boil would do but by definition "prior to run-off" is pre-boil. I guess you could caramelize the sugar in another pot but I like the idea of caramelizing right in the boil kettle not only for convenience but knowing that all the caramel is in the boil. I would think adding at the start would make for a stronger addition as you will have boil off thus concentrating the caramel.

Back