Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial IPA Recipe Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinp

Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions/ideas for this CRAZY beer I am about to brew. (boil time, mash time, fermenting time, yeast?) Please, don't be shy!! (I know you won't!!) Thanks!! :mug:

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial IPA (stout)??[/size]

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 6.56 gallons
Estimated OG: 1.101
Estimated Color: 60.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 125 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
14.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        74.67 %       
1.50 lb       Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM)                Grain        8.00 %        
1.50 lb       Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        8.00 %        
0.75 lb       Barley, Flaked (2.0 SRM)                  Grain        4.00 %        
0.75 lb       Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)          Grain        4.00 %        
0.25 lb       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        1.33 %        
1.00 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %]  (60 min)   Hops         36.8 IBU      
1.00 oz       Simcoe [12.20 %]  (60 min)                Hops         30.8 IBU      
1.00 oz       Warrior [15.80 %]  (60 min)               Hops         39.9 IBU      
1.00 oz       Northern Brewer [9.80 %]  (30 min)        Hops         19.0 IBU      
1.00 oz       Northern Brewer [9.80 %]  (2 min)         Hops         2.1 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [StarterYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 18.75 lbs.
Code:
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 23.44 qt of water at 174.5 F    158.0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Add 9.38 qt of water at 198.2 F     168.0 F

just from both personal experience and what everyone else has told me, you won't be able to get 75% eff. at a 60min boil with a grain bill that large. You have a few options.
You can...
a) increase your grain bill to make up for the lower efficiency (I think I got lucky around 65-70%)
b) increase your boil time to 120min and then increase your mash and sparge water.
c) split your mash into two mash tuns and still do a 120min boil. (this is what I have done with pretty good results, just make sure to mix the grain to ensure even distribution of base and specialty grains)
d) add sugar or extract to the brew to make up for the missing gravity points.
e) ignore me entirely.

The grain bill itself looks good, though it may turn out more roasty than you anticipate without some crystal. (and just from experience I have seen that too much roast bitterness combined with hop bitterness can leave a very metallic taste). So basically I am just suggesting more flavor/aroma hop, less bittering, and switch in some crystal to balance all that roast.

I like the creativity of the recipe. I hope it goes well for you. keep us posted.
Kyle

just from both personal experience and what everyone else has told me, you won't be able to get 75% eff. at a 60min boil with a grain bill that large. You have a few options.
You can...
a) increase your grain bill to make up for the lower efficiency (I think I got lucky around 65-70%)
b) increase your boil time to 120min and then increase your mash and sparge water.
c) split your mash into two mash tuns and still do a 120min boil. (this is what I have done with pretty good results, just make sure to mix the grain to ensure even distribution of base and specialty grains)
d) add sugar or extract to the brew to make up for the missing gravity points.
e) ignore me entirely.

The grain bill itself looks good, though it may turn out more roasty than you anticipate without some crystal. (and just from experience I have seen that too much roast bitterness combined with hop bitterness can leave a very metallic taste). So basically I am just suggesting more flavor/aroma hop, less bittering, and switch in some crystal to balance all that roast.

I like the creativity of the recipe. I hope it goes well for you. keep us posted.
Kyle

I was thinking the exact same thing on the roast bitterness. I am really hoping to get more of a hop bitterness out of this beer. I wasn't sure if I could mellow the dark/coffee malts out from the hops. Should I take them out completely, and add crystal? I will do a 120 minute boil. How should the hop schedule be with a 120 min boil?

I would say, depending on where you get your grains, switch out the .75lb roasted (300) and .25 black (500) for .75lb Roasted Barley (550) which you can get from brewmasters warehouse. From there throw in some crystal to balance.

For hops, I would say move your columbus and warrior to 90min. simcoe to 20 and northern brewer 15 and 5. You may have to add more for the same IBU, but really I think 90-110 IBU for this wills suffice.

Sounds like crazyness to me....

I'd stick with a Choc. Oatmeal Stout or an IIPA....I wouldn't mix them....my 2 cents.

if you really want it to be a chocolate oatmeal IIPA, ditch most if not all the dark malt for some cocoa, move one of the bittering adds and the 30min add to 20mins or under (you'll barely notice the change in IBUs), and add a dry hop. if you still want the color, use carafa. right now its just a RIS

Back