Cold crashing and bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreekBrewery

Reaction score
I've cold crashed, at 45F, my tripel for the last three weeks and have a nice layer of sediment at the bottom of the carboy. I plan on bottling this beer Friday or Saturday night. Since this is my first cold crash I have a questions about the yeast viability. Is there enough yeast still in suspension for bottle conditioning? (A search found one comment saying yes but I'd like more feedback) If I do need to add fresh yeast could I use what I collected and washed from the primary? Thanks for helping the noob:D

I would probably add more yeast although there should be enough to prime your beer already in there. You would just have to wait a little longer for it to carb up, but there would be less sediment in there also.
Yes you can reuse the yeast you saved.

When I cold crash I just warm the brew back up before I bottle and proceed as usual. I have never had a problem with carbing after three weeks. You are going to want the beer around 70F to carb anyway.

Thanks for the info. I like to know what you more experienced folks are doing or have found to be true. Because I want to understand what's going on and not just follow I always try to get lots of sources and info. From what I've found, matches what you're saying, you can cold crash all you want and only so much yeast is going to fall out of suspension. The only way to completely remove it all is filtering. Please correct me if I'm off base at all. Thanks.

I actually prime and bottle cold, and let it warm back up naturally. There are some phenols that cause chill haze that come out of suspension at colder temperatures, but are suspended when they get warmer. So, my thinking is to try to avoid these, it's better to rack off the fermenter while the beer is still cold.

I dont prime and bottle cold but I have the same idea about the phenols. I take the carboy straight out of the freezer as easy as possible and set it on something right next to it so I dont have to move my feet and avoid stirring it up as much as possible. I let it rest till it is back to temp and all that I arroused has settled back to the bottom while it is cold (It takes a while to warm five gallons back up). Then I transfer right where it is setting. I have never had chill haze after doing it this way.

Back