Add gelatin or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I had a bad stuck sparge and ended up separating the wort from the grains with a strainer. As a result I have the the cloudiest finished beer that I've ever experienced. The taste, however, is mighty fine. Now with three days before I bottle, I'm wondering if I should put a tablespoon of gelatin (appropriately dissolved) into the secondary and crank down the temperature to try and clear it up. Will this adversely affect the taste?

No effect on taste. I would do it, but then I do it to everything. I always wait a week after I add it though. I once watched it closely and I could see the line of clarification move down the beer... took a week.

Make sure you mix the gelatin into warm, NOT BOILING, water. Boil the water first, to ensure sterility.

I would just drop the temp. and give it a little more time.
If it doesn't clear up after that then add finings, but in my experiences nothing works better than cold temps. and time.

Gelatin is more of a yeast fining since the primary component is collagen (like isinglass). The best fining for chill haze is Polyclar as it removes polyphenols (chill haze) without affecting foam stability.

Latest posts

Back