Protien Rest Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with how exactly to do a protien rest. I am planning on an AG Wheat Beer (Fruit to be added in secondary) and I searched the forums for how to do a protien rest but there is nothing I found on exactly 'how to do it'. I know it needs to be around 120 degrees and all that but a step by step would greatly help. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with how exactly to do a protien rest. I am planning on an AG Wheat Beer (Fruit to be added in secondary) and I searched the forums for how to do a protien rest but there is nothing I found on exactly 'how to do it'. I know it needs to be around 120 degrees and all that but a step by step would greatly help. Thanks guys.

You can mash in with your strike water, and do the rest. Then, you can either direct fire the MLT and bring it up to the saccrification rest, or you can add hot water to bring you up to the temperature you need. If you do that, it's easiest to use some brewing software, so you can hit the temperature correctly with the correct volume.

I'm not an expert on wheat beers (can't stand them!) so I'll let someone else give you the exact reasons why you'd need a protein rest and if it's necessary.

Back