CO2 corny keg charger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
So, I was thinking about getting this to serve beer at a party since I don't keg yet. http://www.homebrewers.com/product/...ASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

My beer has been on the trub for over a month and I want to rack it to avoid any off flavors so I would rather rack to a keg and wait for the charger to come in. Now, can I go get the keg today and rack the beer in there and wait for the charger to come in or do I have to wait for the charger to come first in order to seal the keg? Will it leak or should I worry about infection? Basically, I'm just looking to use the keg as a "secondary" until the charger comes in.

I really know jack about kegging so any input would be great.

So, I was thinking about getting this to serve beer at a party since I don't keg yet. http://www.homebrewers.com/product/...ASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

My beer has been on the trub for over a month and I want to rack it to avoid any off flavors so I would rather rack to a keg and wait for the charger to come in. Now, can I go get the keg today and rack the beer in there and wait for the charger to come in or do I have to wait for the charger to come first in order to seal the keg? Will it leak or should I worry about infection? Basically, I'm just looking to use the keg as a "secondary" until the charger comes in.

I really know jack about kegging so any input would be great.

No need to hit the keg with CO2 when you transfer. You'll get some residual CO2 production from the beer and you should be able to bleed the releif valve and blow off any O2 that may be in the keg.

I use Kegs as secondaries all the time without gassing them.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable until I've sealed the lid with a high-pressure shot of Co2. Still, if it's working for BM, I'm not going to question his methods...he must have learned something from brewing 400 gallons each year.

...he must have learned something from brewing 400 gallons each year.

I've learned a lot of what not to do...:D

The only time I'd be concerned about seating the lid is if I'm naturally priming a keg.

Otherwise, since the corny is nothing more than a bright tank (secondary), it really doesn't need any more "treatment" than we would give a BB. In fact...if the beer is going to sit for a long time, I'll remove the gas poppet and fit an airlock over the post using a stub of tubing.

Ok, any experience using this charger thing?

I'm assuming I have to prime in the keg which will probably need to be sealed with C02.

I'm really torn here people. :confused: It's either go with a full 2 kegging system for 240, or go with the charger/tap and keg for 100. The party is in 3 weeks and time is against me.

Here is the 2 keg system I'm considering.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=22

If you're planning on priming the keg with corn sugar...you can still do it without gassing the keg.

Just make sure to use plenty of keg lube on the main gasket.

The easiest wat to test the tightness of your keg without using gas is to fill it about 1/4 full of your hottest tap water. Make sure you've lubed up the gasket.

Seal everything up and give the keg a good shake. Set it down and do the soapy water test around the lid and poppets.

Shaking a hot water keg will cause enough temporary expansion to put pressure on the seals and help detect any leaks.

If it holds nice and tight...proceed.

Sounds good.

Problem is, my LHBS kinda blows and they only sell the kegs now since they are just starting to get kegging equipment so...no lube.

I attempted this method a couple weeks ago, and jacked it up, as I was in the same situation as far as lube goes. Just use soapy water on top of the keg (or star san) when you keg to double check for leaks.

A nice way to be sure you've seated the lid, before checking for leaks: before you clamp the lid down, set the lid in place and lift the keg up by the clamp lever. Gently turn the keg a few times in mid air, then clamp. Check for leaks. My problem was that I didn't check the leaks. Lost all my naturally primed CO2, thus the keg is not going to be ready for when I need it. Instead I'm going to have an old fashioned kegger in my backyard next weekend (after force carbing).

Couple problems with the party chargers. First, it takes 3-4 cartridges just to dispense a cornie. More to carbonate. Second, Trying to carbonate with them is a royal pain because there is no regulator. You have to keep puffing in a little CO2, let it absorb, add more, etc. Third, it is really easy to add too much CO2 and pop the relief valve.

On kegging now. I prefer to use CO2 to seat the lid, but it isn't required. If the natural carbonation leaks out, you can still force carb when the rig comes in.

Back