DIY Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
probably the easiest DIY project for homebrewers.

here's mine

insinkerator flange: $15.99 at HD
you could go cheaper with plastic, but I wanted one that could take the heat

+ small binder clips, 88¢ a dozen at Wally World

+ small muslin bag, courtesy Jay's Brewing, Manassas, VA

clip the bag to the flange, one of the clips to the rim of the kettle

IMG_8083.JPG

after using this to brew an AIPA, I'm going to have to skip it next time. I think the bag shot my hop utilization and my IPA is nowhere near the hoppyness I was looking for. there's just a little bitterness on the front end, but no hop flavor or aroma.

i dryhopped the EFF out of it, bottling on saturday

Bagging does decrease utilization, but you've just got to compensate. I always bag my hops for the boil, and flavor/aroma have never been a problem. Most brewing software packages will show you the difference (at least the IBU's) if you select bagged hops.

Bagging does decrease utilization, but you've just got to compensate. I always bag my hops for the boil, and flavor/aroma have never been a problem. Most brewing software packages will show you the difference (at least the IBU's) if you select bagged hops.

good point, thanks. I did not compensate and am not aware of Beersmith having that capability, if there is, I hope someone will point it out for me.

unless you have a general rule-of-thumb you go by? like doubling your amount?

I don't really have a rule of thumb. I use Beer Alchemy, and it lets you select the way you're using hops then updates the IBU's accordingly.

Back