One simple problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
My room mate actully burrowed my email address to make this account and left and after he left i picked up brewing because he left all his stuff here and i needed a hooby... interestingly i took to it and now have a very interesting problem... I indavertanly came across a way to make about say 3 or four gallons of beer in a very short ammount of time, roughly 6% abv and not half bad tasting... the way i see it is i cant possiably drink it all or even bottle it all, and i dont absolutely like beer it was actully an experiment which went horriably right... i mainly make draft cider for my own consumption... but some of my friends are snobbs and olny drink it if its beer so i made a batch and this whole idea cost me about 8 bucks

Heres what i did. I got a bunch of malted barley stock and made a batch of beer, turned our kind hoppy but that actully is my own opinion, but my landlord drank it and he said it defiantly made off better then his normal daily Bud. I drained off the beer and had all the gunk left in the bottom and had a bunch of stuff left over. So i took the rest fo the barley made an oatmeal like stuff out of it and put a gallon or so of hopped water in it and put it back to ferment just to see what would happen. Well i walked into where i brew one afternoon and the stuff had bubbled out and shot the airlock across the room. I clean up the mess and moved thing into the kictchen and transfered the stuff into a larger 5 gallon bucket. The stuff wreaked of newly made achohal so i boiled some hopps in about three gallons of water and poured it in and stired it up. two weeks went by i opened it up to see whats it doing and low and behold i have a rather simple beer which has roughly 6% ABV. Upon testing on one of my friends, he didnt die, he actully liked it said it drinks better then miller lite (which in my opinion so dose battery acid with a piss chaser) which he buys simply because its cheep. So i stired in about 2 pounds of good dark drown sugar and let the oatmeal stuff sit over night, fermented like mad the airlock was bubbling with in an hour. so i hopped some more warter and added it again, and now its about 4 days going and its doing just fine. So the way i figure it with some matinence(adding more barley malt, adding more sugar and keeping the fermentation going) to the mash i supposed youd call it and adding simply hoped water and mixing it well then allowing to ferment then racking off the liquid and then filtering and bottleing i could plauseably produce 3 or so gallons of this perticular brew every two weeks or so with the same consitancy... if im wrong please correct me im not an expert by far the mere fact this has worked twice dosent mean it will continue to work i may have simply ****ed up rather brilliantly and it wont last....

but thats not the problem... my delimea is.... what do i do with all this beer?

oh and how would i go about changeing my screen name, because this is the one my old roomate made and well simply i dont like the name he chose... thanks all for reading and i look forward to your advice...

i seriously have a porblem, with a batch of cider about half done im gonna need all my bottles soon and about 2/3s are taken up by this enomoly, and i have drank two bottles in total and already find it boring and likely only good for getting waisted, and i dont brew to get waisted... my friends drink to get waisted, so i guess that shows what kind of people they are... also i dont feel like having a bunch of friends who use me to make beer for them, sounds detremental... so any help you could give would be appreciated, i am thinking about a nice irish red for my next batch if i make beer because my landlord said if i can start supplying him with that often enough i can get money off my rent... now my landlord him i will make beer for and the reasons are obvious... thanks and sorry about the rant

user cp on the uper leftside heading<edit proile(lower left side), middle of the page is a place to change the username. Use beer for barter. Everyone loves beer

You need Beersmith and need to read here so you can become a more accomplished brewer. They also have recipes online or on Beersmith's web site for a nice red ale. You have been very lucky just wingging it. :)

Thanks WBC that website is amazing, i have read half it already. Started Red ale today with a recipe and ingreedents list i found on the net. Wish me luck

Primary
5 gallons Irish Red ale
3 gallons Irish Stout
5 gallons Dark Hard Cider
3 gallons Eternal Ale
Secondary
10 gallons malt liquor (the reason i have no idea of why, probably incase the world ends and i need to get real ****ed up and dont much care how)

Back