Racking and Rocking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blender

Reaction score
I am bottling my first batch this morning made from a Coopers kit. I got beer on the floor from the open valve of the bottling bucket during siphoning and also from the bottle filler. Where do I put this thing while grabbing some more bottles? I have foam overflowing the bottles and still more sticky beer on the floor. What have I got myself into? :). At least it doesn't taste like vinegar or socks. Anyway,Chris Isaak is blasting from the computer and I am feeling like the newbie that I am.

I can begin drinking this on Saturday right ?
I'm gonna need some help for the next batch. Thanks for listening.

Peace

Blender said:
I am bottling my first batch this morning made from a Coopers kit. I got beer on the floor from the open valve of the bottling bucket during siphoning and also from the bottle filler. Where do I put this thing while grabbing some more bottles? I have foam overflowing the bottles and still more sticky beer on the floor. What have I got myself into? :). At least it doesn't taste like vinegar or socks. Anyway,Chris Isaak is blasting from the computer and I am feeling like the newbie that I am.

I can begin drinking this on Saturday right ?
I'm gonna need some help for the next batch. Thanks for listening.

Peace

I always keep my empty bottles within arms reach when filling. I never have to put down the bottling wand to grab more of them. If something happens and I *do* need to step away for a second, I actually turn the wand sideways and lay it on a clean towel on the floor.

As for drinking it this weekend.... you will probably be disappointed. It will be sweet (from the priming sugar still in there), flat (because you didn't give it enough time to carbonate) and will taste 'green' (because it really wants a few weeks for the flavors to mellow out and be ready.)

At best, I would think you might be able to drink this in the first weekend of February (Super Bowl Sunday).

-walker

A good tip I read here is to bottle on the door of your dishwasher with the bucket on the counter above it...then you just shut the door and hit rinse and nothing gets on your floor. Prior to that I usually bottled on top of several towels.

As to the bottling wand, I usually get all my bottles ready to go before filling, but if I have to put it down and go away for a few minutes I shut the valve on my bottling bucket and stick the wand in the next bottle I'll be filling.

I use a spring loaded filler tip and I get minimal drippage when filling. I do put a towel down to catch anything minor. As for siphoning, it is a matter of practice. After doing it a couple times you will get the hang of it. I do recommend getting one of the thumb squeeze line locks that you can slide over the flexible syphon tube. if you need to stop it, just squeeze it. As long as you dont disturb the line, your syphon will be preserved-just unlock it and you are ready to go. Using a bottle filler, you shouldin't get any foam, since the tip will be submerged during the fill.

As for leaving the valve open when filling the bucket, I think everyone does that at least once :D

That's why I do all my brewing stuff (including bottling) outside on the patio. Very easy clean-up.

As for the wand. You don't even have to close the valve. Just stick it into the next bottle. When you don't press down, you shouldn't get any beer out of it. If you do, get a new wand.

Kai

Walker said:
As for drinking it this weekend.... you will probably be disappointed. It will be sweet (from the priming sugar still in there), flat (because you didn't give it enough time to carbonate) and will taste 'green' (because it really wants a few weeks for the flavors to mellow out and be ready.)

At best, I would think you might be able to drink this in the first weekend of February (Super Bowl Sunday).

-walker

Thanks for the advice. I was being facetious about drinking it Saturday but come Super Bowl Sunday I will definately be working them over.

Bee Gee .... I don't know why turning of the valve did not occur to me but that should work very well. Thanks

Blender said:
Thanks for the advice. I was being facetious about drinking it Saturday but come Super Bowl Sunday I will definately be working them over.

I HOPED that was sarcasm, but I wasn't sure and didn't want you to feel like something was wrong this weekend when your beer wasn't very good.

:)

-walker

A valve on the bottling bucket? Gee, thats 2 posts today that mentioned that....I've just been jamming the hose up under the bail on the bucket. But I do seem to loose it once every batch....maybe I oughta make another trip to home depot?

casebrew said:
A valve on the bottling bucket? Gee, thats 2 posts today that mentioned that....I've just been jamming the hose up under the bail on the bucket. But I do seem to loose it once every batch....maybe I oughta make another trip to home depot?
It is just a plastic bucket with a hole drilled about and inch or so from the bottom and spigot valve that can be screwed in for flow control. It works great.

Kai said:
As for the wand. You don't even have to close the valve. Just stick it into the next bottle. When you don't press down, you shouldn't get any beer out of it. If you do, get a new wand.Kai
Actually, there are two types of filler valves. One is spring loaded and one is not. The one that is not will flow on its own (under the weight of the filler tube) if placed into a bottle.

Me, I just point it toward the ceiling and let the beer flow back into the bucket, turn off the spigot, and hang the wand over the side and back into the bucket.

homebrewer_99 said:
Actually, there are two types of filler valves. One is spring loaded and one is not. The one that is not will flow on its own (under the weight of the filler tube) if placed into a bottle.
My filler works that way. The bottle I dropped it in almost overflowed before I knew what was happening. I was pretty much doing damage control the first 12 bottles or so. :D

Back