Keezer Moisture Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finished my Keezer a few weeks ago and still can't fix my moisture problem. I've read all the threads about the keezer builds and different issues, including moisture.
You can see from the picture that all the water is to one side of the keezer. I've gone through and put silicon on all the joints/openings and put extra weather stripping on the collar. I put an eva-dry unit in the keezer but this hasn't helped at all.
I have a fan sucking cool air up into the tower and a smaller hole for the return air. I get quite a bit of air movement through the holes and the water is all on the side of the small return hole. I'm wondering if the return air is warm enough to cause the moisture.
Would a second fan down by the bottom help by circulating the air more???

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

My guess would be that you're opening the lid a lot to check for moisture and that's how it's getting in. Try leaving it closed for a few days with a fresh Eva-dry and see how it looks. Maybe sop up the excess with a towel first.

Typically I check it every night. I let it go for 3 days the last time and it was pretty wet. I did move the eva-dry to the side where all the water is. I'll check tomorrow to see how that worked. One thing I am contemplating is to hang the eva-dry under the return air hole. That way if the air is moist, it will blow directly on the eva-dry.

EVADry near the fan for optimal air circulation, heck if you put in a second fan have it blow through the EVADry if possible, they absorb rather slowly. Additionally, wood is permiable, I would suggest insulating it some, if for anything it will reduce how often your keezer cycles. Also, do you notice the drips on the lines where the small return hole is with the beer lines in it?

That's the strange part, I don't see any drips or moisture anywhere except for the walls on the unit and of course on the bottom. For the collar I sandwiched a piece of insulation between 2- 1x8's to help with the heat loss. I have a digital IR thermometer and the collar is only 1 degree cooler than the side of the freezer so I don't think that's the issue.
I hung the eva-dry up by the return air hole so we'll see if that helps.

Maybe add a second. Or leave the drain plug open with apiece of sponge or foam of some sort in it to insulate. Where are you keeping it? Garage? Basement? Home bar? Do you have moisture problems near it otherwise? Maybe a dehumidifier in the same room/area as the keezer? I know having one in my basement where my keezer is located during the summer helps mine out.

DrunkleJon said:
EVADry near the fan for optimal air circulation, heck if you put in a second fan have it blow through the EVADry if possible, they absorb rather slowly. Additionally, wood is permiable, I would suggest insulating it some, if for anything it will reduce how often your keezer cycles. Also, do you notice the drips on the lines where the small return hole is with the beer lines in it?

+1 - I had to add a second evadry in mine. Walls are where it's cold, so that's where you'll get te moisture forming. Having the dehumidifier directly in-line with the fan makes a big difference, as does mopping out a bunch of the moisture.

Finally you might not have a great seal on your lid. Try drying it out, repositioning the dryer unit, and putting one or two heavy objects to see if it seals better.

Monday night I messed with the top seal somewhat and hung the eva-dry under the return air hole. Just checked this morning and the moisture is better than before. There still is too much in my opinion but definitely better. I ordered another eva-dry and am going to add some weather stripping to the lid. We'll see how that works.

Back