Converting Fly Sparge to Batch Sparge in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
Currently I don't have the equipment to Fly Sparge only Batch Sparge.
I'm interested in two recipes of whet beer both by default was with Fly Sparge.
the first one was a "Single Infusion-Light Body-No Mash out" (Fly Sparge) and i just changed the profile to "Single Infusion-Light Body-Batch Sparge" in the Mash area i have one Mash In Step and 3 Steps batch Sparge my questions are:
1. Should I drain the initial Mash In before Sparge (I noticed some Profiles in beersmith specifically call for draining) so if it is not stated I shouldn't drain?
2. Why I have 3 Steps? How long should I wait between each Step? Should I Drain between each Step?

The Second Recipe call for "Double Infusion-light Body" (Fly Sparge) but there wasn't any same profile for Batch Sparge so I created one by Copy the original and changing the batch Sparge to true, the Mash is a 3 Step mash - Protein Rest, Sacchairification and Mash Out and 1 Step batch Sparge with specifically stating to Drain Mash Tun Before (Even that I didn't choose this check Box in the Profile), My questions are:
1. The Protein Rest Step is actually the initial Mash In?
2. Between each Step of the Mash should I drain the Mash Tun?
3. Why in this case I have a Draining step before the Batch Sparge , Why it is added automatically? and why here is a 1 Step sparge unlike the 3 Step in the previous Recipe?

Thanks for all the Helpers and Sorry for this long thread :)

The batch sparge profiles have "drain mash tun before sparging" pre-checked. But don't worry about the defaults, make the settings match what you actually do. Your sparge volume of course depends on how much water you need to hit your boil volume after the mash, and it will give you more steps according to how much will fit in your mash tun. Make sure you have the size of your tun entered correctly, check the drain before sparging, and set it to batches that fill like 95% of your tun. I also like the sparge in equal sizes setting. On my system I usually need 2 sparge steps to get my boil volume. When batch sparging here are my steps:

- after mash vorlauf then drain completely
- add first sparge water, stir really well for a few minutes, then vorlauf and drain completely
- add second sparge water and repeat

For the double infusion the protein rest is your first mash step and you don't drain until after the mash out (if you're going to do one). In this case you may only need one sparge step because you end up with a larger volume of first runnings.

Chickypad thank you so much you don't know how much you helped me thanks thanks thanks

Back