Bottled - Conditioning temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
Took an extra gallon and bottled it with some of those tablets a guy had given me since he was no longer bottling. Said they worked well....
So I gave away a six-pack and left the other in the laundry room on a shelf as it was the only place available at the time...(I keg 95% of the time and have yet to find a place for bottle conditioning in the house).

So it's been three weeks and I went looking for it last night only to discover it was no longer there.....
ME : "Hey, where's that six pack that was on the shelf in the laundry room?"
SWMBO: "Where do you think? In the beer fridge like the rest of it."
ME: "uh, where......I didn't see it."
SWMBO: "In the very back behind what's left of my Porter. I'm FIFO'ing it."
ME: "and when did you put it there?
SWMBO: "I dunno...about three weeks ago I guess."

So, I doubt this is going to carbonate at 45 degrees.....what can I expect to happen, if anything, if I take it out of there and put it someplace safe?:D

I think you can expect it to carbonate. Those temperatures put yeast to sleep, but don't kill them. Once they warm up, they should wake up and finish the job given a little bit of time.

Were this not so, it'd be darn hard to bottle carbonate lagers, wouldn't it?

That's kind of what I was thinking...needed reassurance.

and I wouldn't know about bottle carbonating lagers....I don't do lagers; too hooked on ales:eek:

and I wouldn't know about bottle carbonating lagers....I don't do lagers; too hooked on ales:eek:

I haven't done a lager either, though I want to!

My problem is I only have space enough in my fermentation chiller for one fermenting vessel at a time, and a lager would tie it up for a while.

I've contemplated the idea of building up a nice pipeline of homebrew to drink while the chiller's tied up, but so far between my self, family, and friends, I haven't been able to brew fast enough to accomplish that.

Good luck on your ale. Again, give it a little extra time as the yeast might need a little extra encouragement after going dormant, but I'm pretty sure it should carbonate without issue.

The yeast may have settled out and compacted on the bottoms of the bottles by now, so it might speed things up if you swirl the bottles a little bit and get it back in to solution.

Back